Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lowering a 2011 Electra Glide

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 08:31 AM
dankFLSTF
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering a 2011 Electra Glide

Just got back from a Harley open house and another rider and I were talking about the Electra Glide being a little top heavy and he said that he put on the Street Glide air shocks and front springs on his and it made a world of difference. Has anyone done this to their bike?

Old 09-18-2011, 09:04 AM
kzad
Advanced

Front springs are the same on Street Glide and Electra glide, it's the rear shocks that are lower. At 5'7" my '10 Ultra Classic was a little high for me, I did the street Glide rear shocks, had Mean City Cycles lower/rework my seat, and replaced the stock floorboards with street glide pegs (so I could back the bike up without the backs of my legs hitting the boards). Made a world of difference. Most people will tell you the stock air shocks are junk, maybe they're right but as long as I keep the air adjusted correctly for load/passenger they've been fine for me.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:25 AM
Navy UC Rider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kzad
Front springs are the same on Street Glide and Electra glide, it's the rear shocks that are lower. At 5'7" my '10 Ultra Classic was a little high for me, I did the street Glide rear shocks, had Mean City Cycles lower/rework my seat, and replaced the stock floorboards with street glide pegs (so I could back the bike up without the backs of my legs hitting the boards). Made a world of difference. Most people will tell you the stock air shocks are junk, maybe they're right but as long as I keep the air adjusted correctly for load/passenger they've been fine for me.
Has the ride of the Ultra been degraded b/c of the use of SG shocks? I have a 2010 also and have been thinking about changing out shocks, but with 1 inch less travel, I am worried about the ride not being as good.

Cale

Old 09-18-2011, 10:44 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

the ride is more---"jarring" might be the word.
SG shocks give up 30% of the travel.

I use SG shocks in town and switch back to stock shocks when touring. ( the 09 and later SG shocks are said to be better- take offs from SG riders maybe $130, new at zanottis about $225)

it's 20 minutes to swap the shocks, if that.

air pressure is really important on these and I get a reasonably comfortable SG ride in town and like the Ultra "Cadillac" ride on long trips.

- I also use a SG or solo seat in town, lower windscreen.
Touring it's Ultra seat and higher windscreen
and with tourpak and traveling gear about 130 pounds of load is probably added

lowered bikes loose lean angle and cornering ability- most riders are fine with that- but the extremes are less fun. banging framerails on speedbumps, whacking your front fender on the bottom of the triple tree, scraping jiffystand on lefts, and rear tire chewing up the rear lighting wiring can result.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 09-18-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:23 AM
buggy
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

09 and up have the wire out of the fender so your safe there. Get a pump and keep air in the shocks , the new shocks are better thand older ones like every thing else. As for lean angle , it all falls into how you ride . if you lower you adjust your style. I have a set of 1" brackets $40 shipped . Its cheaper than shocks if you still question if you want to lower it. pm if interested

Old 09-18-2011, 11:34 AM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i had MeanCity Cycle narrow the nose and lower my 2008 FLHRC seat 2.5" they did a great job. i would like to find some reasnable used street glide shocks or have bitch'n baggers lower my stock shocks and maybe progressive 1"lowering springs for front forks.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:00 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I wanted to lower my 2010 RK so I changed the seat and added the HD Low Profile Touring Shocks. I don't notice any difference in ride quality, but I probably weigh less than most riders and I only ride solo.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:10 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

If you want to lower it and improve the handling go with the Progressive Monotube at 1or 2 lower and a set of Progressive 940 (will lower you 1 " in the rear with stock travel) Total cost about or a little less than $1000.

The gas charged Monotubes are a lot better that the stock oil bath damping system on the front and the 940 are a lot better IMO than the HD shocks. For a littl more Id go Ohlins on the rear

Old 09-19-2011, 07:27 AM
kzad
Advanced

Originally Posted by Navy UC Rider
Has the ride of the Ultra been degraded b/c of the use of SG shocks? I have a 2010 also and have been thinking about changing out shocks, but with 1 inch less travel, I am worried about the ride not being as good.

Cale
I really don't have anything to compare them to since I only put a couple hundred miles on the bike before changing them, but at 180lb body weight running around 15lb in the shocks they've been fine for me, 40lb with the passenger. I'm sure you can buy better shocks....but not for $225.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:26 PM
62hdbiker
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Anybody know the stock shock travel of Street glide and electra glide?

Quick Reply: lowering a 2011 Electra Glide