Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HK Radio Display

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 12:59 PM
swomack
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HK Radio Display

For all of you whose radio comes on with the bike after you have turned it off. I noticed this morning that although it is on the station I was listening to with but with no sound the presets are the default values and not the stations I have programmed in. I turn it off and back on I have sound and my stations are listed on the presets. Have you noticed similar?

Old 11-21-2006, 01:18 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HK Radio Display

Yes, I have similar issues with the most recent software that was dealer installed. I imagine there will be an updated version coming to address it!

Old 11-21-2006, 01:40 PM
HD Jake
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine did that also when I first got her, my dealers fix was to make sure that I shut the radio off before I shut the igintion switch off and not to start the bike with the radion on.

As crazy as this sounded, I tried it and the problem has not come back again.
I have done the software or firmware upgrade and not tried it another way yet, I am now in the habit of turning the tunes off before I shut her down and all is fine.

Jake

Old 11-21-2006, 01:51 PM
swomack
Road Master

I always turn the radio off before shutting off the bike but the stupid thing comes on when you hit the starter!

Old 11-21-2006, 01:57 PM
kdietz
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weird stuff.......I've got the latest upgrade on my '06 UC and don't have any issues.....I leave the radio on when I shut down the bike and it comes back on to the correct stations.....lucky I guess!

Old 11-21-2006, 02:29 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just talked to my service manager and HD is sending him a factory CD...will let you guys know if that corrects things.

Old 11-21-2006, 02:55 PM
Gutman
Road Master

Hey Bounty, Anyone interested can perform this software download. If a Service Manager told you he was waiting for a CD, tell him to keep waiting. Go to www.harley-davidson.com, then click on Accessories & Apparel, then look in the bottom right hand corner. It will give you tech info for the sound system. click on that then in the top right you will see software updates. Follow the instructions. You will need a CD rewrite in your computer. The latest updates prevent this problem, blank screen displays and stops the clock from adding time. This will remain there, and all HK systems until 2008 will be reprogrammable. ie, if you have a 2006, you can upgrade to 07 spec's for free.

Old 11-21-2006, 02:57 PM
kdietz
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gutman

Hey Bounty, Anyone interested can perform this software download. If a Service Manager told you he was waiting for a CD, tell him to keep waiting. Go to www.harley-davidson.com, then click on Accessories & Apparel, then look in the bottom right hand corner. It will give you tech info for the sound system. click on that then in the top right you will see software updates. Follow the instructions. You will need a CD rewrite in your computer. The latest updates prevent this problem, blank screen displays and stops the clock from adding time. This will remain there, and all HK systems until 2008 will be reprogrammable. ie, if you have a 2006, you can upgrade to 07 spec's for free.
Be sure to record at 8x or it won't work properly

Karl

Old 11-21-2006, 03:14 PM
Gutman
Road Master

Right on kdietz, you should record it at the slowest speed possible for best results. Thanks for catching that.

Old 11-23-2006, 02:07 PM
alazlo
Road Master

I am on my 4th HK radio on the 06 classic so I've gotten pretty familar with them. Most recently when I shut the bike off wit the cd player on, the FM station would come on when I turned it back on. All it took to address this was to pull the maxi fuse for 5 minutes. Problem resolved. I would suggest doing this first as it's the easiest thing to try. This doesn't affect anything other than your preset stations so it's safe to do. (for those who don't know, the maxi fuse is under your left side cover)

If that doesn't work and you burn the CD, the most important part of the process is burning the CD at 8x speed or less. Any faster & it won't work.

Next. If you have burned the cd and you did it at the right speed and the download doesn't work in your radio, run it a couple of more times. I have seen the dealer run it four times on one radio before it worked. Latest updat is 8.11 and is supposed to address problems with the CB. Dealer suggested I not put that one in my radio as mine is finally working like it's supposed to.

Quick Reply: HK Radio Display