Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

carbeuretor rookie

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 10:48 AM
forever 2 wheels
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by TW
I used to take those Kehins off immediately and replace them with an S&S. I would always tape a dollar to each Kehin before I threw them in the woods behind my house.
I figured if anyone tripped over it, at least they'd get a dollar.

Some people like them, but I never had much luck with them.
The Super E is a great carb.
Thank's TW, LOL!!! I have also had great success with the Super E. The way things are going you may see me looking for carbs in the woods.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:32 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're playing with that bike in the picture , take a look at the pilot (idle/off idle) jet.
My 2006 FLHT was really lean with the stock #45 pilot and got worse with free flowing mufflers.
If your idle mixture screw is still plugged , you'll need to unplug it and try to set the base idle mixture at 1000 rpms.
If you get to 2 turns out and it still isn't too rich , get a #46 and #48 pilot jet.
I got a good setting on my 06 (bone stock) with a #46 at 2 turns out.
When I went with V&H classic slip ons , it went lean again.
Then I went with a #48 pilot jet and got the mixture right again with the V&H setup.
After I got the idle/off idle nice , I went with #4 machine washers under the jet needle and lifted it one washer at a time with two tanks of gas for each setting for drivability and fuel mileage.
The washers worked pretty well , but I wanted to try a sportster needle and see if it was better.
The 27094-88 is the needle I used , check this tuning guide out.
http://www.americanrider.com/output.cfm?id=1022023
This made the low/medium range nice and cruise was good also.
I tried a bunch of main jets , but the stock #180 was about perfect for me.
All told , I had about $20.00 in the project and my fuel mileage went up from stock.
Cold starting and cold running was improved , engine heat lower , better mileage.
I also tried the Screaming Eagle diaphragm spring , (don't bother).
Don't drill the slide piston if you see this on the web , the slide is fine stock.
After you're done , give the #45 pilot to a friend with a Sportster , the stock Sportster is usually a #44 and the #45 works better.
That should get you started in the right direction.
Mick

Old 09-18-2011, 01:34 AM
Holster Maker
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Manski....it's not warmed-up yet. Very cold blooded...what works when you park the bike after only 20 miles or so and then re-start.
Try this...it always works.
Don't give any pre-throttle and just choke it all the way out and let it stay out, it will close on it's own. You'll know at the first stop sign if it closed, the idle will be down to 800-1000. This is what I did and worked excellent for yrs....takes a while to figure it out tho!