Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLHRC Leather Tour Pak blocks saddlebag access

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013 | 04:15 PM
blackmajicwoman
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Daddyohdad
I just bought the matching leather TourPak for my Road King Classic and after installing realized that the TourPak blocks the saddlebags from fully opening. I have to hold the lid with one hand to get things out. Not amused. Anyone have any observations/suggestions ?
So I just purchased my used RK Classic Leather Tour Pak (used) for $500, the appropriate 2-up rack for my 2002 FLHRCI for $179, and the mounting hardware kit for $99, oh and the locking detachable clasp for $30...so I was a little disappointed when I put my tour pak on the first time and found out this exact same thing that the Tour Pak blocks either leather saddlebag from opening fully, thus I have to hold it open with one hand. Luckily I found this post, because I thought I was going crazy; as the engineering of HD is far superior to most other manufactures...I couldn't believe this was overlooked. However, as an engineer myself, I too am guilty of not anticipating things like this during design. From what I have gathered from those that have the hard bags, this is not as much and issues becuase the lids open and fold down. After spending some time on the phone with my local HD dealer, it is what it is So thank you for posting...ride safe!

Old 05-28-2013 | 05:45 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member

Leather bags are just for looks. I put hard bags on with the tourpack. Only use the tourpack on trips and hardbags are more secure plus they hold more. And of course I can open them...

Old 05-29-2013 | 03:03 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Default Pretty common problem

Originally Posted by blackmajicwoman
So I just purchased my used RK Classic Leather Tour Pak (used) for $500, the appropriate 2-up rack for my 2002 FLHRCI for $179, and the mounting hardware kit for $99, oh and the locking detachable clasp for $30...so I was a little disappointed when I put my tour pak on the first time and found out this exact same thing that the Tour Pak blocks either leather saddlebag from opening fully, thus I have to hold it open with one hand. Luckily I found this post, because I thought I was going crazy; as the engineering of HD is far superior to most other manufactures...I couldn't believe this was overlooked. However, as an engineer myself, I too am guilty of not anticipating things like this during design. From what I have gathered from those that have the hard bags, this is not as much and issues becuase the lids open and fold down. After spending some time on the phone with my local HD dealer, it is what it is So thank you for posting...ride safe!
I have the same setup and my bags won't open all the way due to the tour pac either. Although with all due respect to the oldhippie, the leather bags on the FLHRC's actually hold more than the regular hard bags. Not much, but they are bigger on the inside.

Old 05-29-2013 | 04:14 AM
wndchsr2
Road Captain

My last bike was an '07 RKC, had the leather bags and I added the leather tour pak and had no issue opening the bags all the way. I could open the bags all the way without hitting the tour pak........Open them so they would stay open on their own.

However I believe I know why..........My bags always appeared to set out and away on the top, more so than others I saw. When I heard about this issue several years ago I looked at my bags and they did appear to have an outward angle on the top.

I have no idea of the part number but I believe there is a different top mounting bracket which angles the top of your bag outward. And I think this is why I had no issues with my bags hitting the tour pak.........So you may wish to check with the dealer about a possible different set of top brackets.

Old 05-29-2013 | 04:15 AM
wndchsr2
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Watch Guy
Although with all due respect to the oldhippie, the leather bags on the FLHRC's actually hold more than the regular hard bags. Not much, but they are bigger on the inside.
And they just look good on a Classic.

Old 08-06-2013 | 12:28 PM
Alamomann
Tourer

Disappointing. I was seriously considering buying the tour pak for my bike. Now not so much.

Old 08-06-2013 | 08:46 PM
94ruck
Road Captain

We purchased a new 2013 road classic and I ordered the tour pack as i have been trying to find one for my old 1999 for a long time.We took a 1200 mile trip before the tour pack came in. One it arrived and we fitted the quick release set up, we found the same issue. however, when the tour pack is on the bike for short trips, we put stuff in it instead of the side bags. It is very easy to remove, the bike looks killer with it on and I have the bag liners now to make getting in and out relatively easy. To us, it is very minor. The lids actually hit the mounting screw of the quick release back rest enough to mar the surface. that bugged me for about 5 seconds and then i moved on. I rented the custom before i bought the classic and wasn't a fan of the hard bag lids and the inability to cram stuff in if needed..LOL

Old 08-08-2013 | 11:06 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member

I beleive that when you mount the docking kits there are instructions and spacers that move the top of the bags more outward to clear the removable items such as passenger backrest and or rack and tourpack. It was this way on my 2004 RK Classic.I never liked the look of the leaning bags so I removed the spacers and lived with it util hard bags went on.

Old 08-09-2013 | 02:38 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Default It's really not that big an inconvenience

While the lids won't open all the way with the tour pak on, they still open enough to get the removable travel bags in and out. I usually take the pak off anyway when I stop for the night so I just organize my load/unload procedure around that.