Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'05 RK 88" stumbling, & there is a hissing/fizzing sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 10:10 PM
racinghoss
Road Captain
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Default '05 RK 88" stumbling, & there is a hissing/fizzing sound

2005 Road King Police. I bought it in June with 7000 miles on it. It now has just under 10k. (See sig). I have had trouble tuning it, and it continually runs lean. There is lots of decel popping and it is has been running hot.

Today while riding to work it started to stumble. Not at any particular rpm, but anytime I rolled on the throttle, it hesitated. Just riding along on the highway, it would stumble and slow down. It also was very flat when I accelerated. It never died or completely lost power, but it's obviously not right.

Also, I noticed a hissing sound. It is not rpm dependent, as I hear it at idle and at 65mph. It almost sounds like a hiss, similar to an electrical sound. I have no idea what it is. It does seem to be related to the loss of power though. They sometimes occur at the same time.

This is my first Harley. I have never worked on this bike, but I am pretty handy with my other vehicles and I have worked on Hondas a bit.

Schools me and help me, please.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:40 PM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If this is a fuel injected bike, it's very likely the hiss is fuel spraying out of one or more pin holes that formed in the fuel lines inside the gas tank. This causes loss of fuel pressure to the injectors, and the stumbling.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:11 PM
racinghoss
Road Captain

That makes sense. I am assuming that could also be the reason that I cant get the PCIII tuned right, and it always seems to run lean.

Are the lines themselves replaceable? Inside the tank? Dang, that sucks. I need to get a service manual.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:14 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Yup, pin hole in fuel line in the tank.

Drew

Old 09-21-2011, 03:46 PM
racinghoss
Road Captain

OK, ho to I figure out which line(s) the leak is coming from? Is it possible to pull the console enough to look into the tank, then start the fuel pump and watch for a leak? The parts guy at the dealership did not seem to know if the lines were sold as a set or individually. Should I just replace them all anyway? Does anyone have part numbers?

Old 09-21-2011, 03:56 PM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is a pic of everything inside the tank with part numbers. http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....=13&A=419&B=43
Put the item in the cart for the part #.

Last edited by Just Dave; 09-21-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:01 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 711 Likes on 353 Posts

Is the hiss is more evident when the fuel level is low and non-existent with a full tank? That's a dead give-away for a leaking in-tank fuel line.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:02 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Kind of strange that it would do that with under 10K miles, but you got to wonder where that thing was stored. I got 63K on my 05 and it's been trouble free so far (except for a wire short). I think they prefer to be run hard to sitting.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:21 PM
racinghoss
Road Captain

Originally Posted by stro1965
Is the hiss is more evident when the fuel level is low and non-existent with a full tank? That's a dead give-away for a leaking in-tank fuel line.
Yeah, on a full tank it actually runs pretty good. The symptoms got worse as the fuel level went down. I am at about 1/3 tank now, and it will barely stay running at idle.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:31 PM
racinghoss
Road Captain

The exploded parts diagram that JustDave kindly posted only shows one fuel line in the tank. The service manual seems to show 2 of them. The line between the pump and filter (#18 in the diagram), and a longer line between the check valve and the pressure regulator.

Is one more likely than the other to be the culprit?

Quick Reply: '05 RK 88" stumbling, & there is a hissing/fizzing sound