Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will different tranny fluid make shifting easier and nutral easier to find?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 08:53 PM
Eric The Welder
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will different tranny fluid make shifting easier and nutral easier to find?

getting ready to do the first round of fluid changes on my 05 glide, the fluids that are in there havent been changed in 2 years, the bike sat for that time. runs good, i out maybe 30 miles on it with the old oil while working on the bike. now the bike shifts pretty clunky and is very hard to find nuetral especially if its cold.

previous owner said he used amsoil 20/50 in the motor, i might aswitch to mobile 1, since thats what i use in all my bikes and its local.

he used amsoil severe gear in the tranny i believe. and mot sure about the primary.

i want to make sure i choose the right fluids, i would like for the tranny to shift a little smoother or at least find nuetral with out going 1-2-1-2-1 for 10 min.

the bike has 57k on it, but has been very very well cared for and maintained. motor has a 95" kit, plished heads, andrews cams, t-max tuner and runs like a beast. so i want to make sure i get it right with the fluids.
what should i use in the primary also?? ATF?

Old 09-14-2011, 08:56 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Huge debate, absolutely no clear "best" answer.

Do lots of research, and once you have heard every conflicting opinion known to man, you will essentially just pick any of the really good oils at random and whatever you pick will be just fine.

I'm running Mobil1 V-Twin 20w50 in the engine and the primary/trans. It has the same viscosity as 75w90 gear oil, but may shear a bit more since its not a true gear oil. I'll get an analysis done after 3000 miles and see how its performing, then switch if necessary.

You should plan to do the same, whatever you choose, drain it at 3000 miles and send it in to Blackstone, for $20 they will tell you empirically if its working well or not.

Last edited by parabellum_9x19; 09-14-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:57 PM
Eric The Welder
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol thats the problem, ive searched here and get opinions from every single angle. lol switching from amsoil in the motor to mobile 1 should be fine right?

Old 09-14-2011, 09:03 PM
Matt0987
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was having a tough time finding N and did a service. New oil (Amsoil), filter, and such. Just followed the service manual. As part of the service I adjusted the clutch. Watched a couple online videos... Read some advice here... read the service manual. As it turned out the clutch adjustment was as easy as changing the oil.

I finished up the service, took the bike for a ride. No problem finding N.

I now have another 1500 miles on the clock since the adjustment. Starting to give me a little grief. I adjusted the cable and it is better now. When I do the next service it will be time to adjust the clutch and I suspect finding N will no linger be a problem again... For a while. Until the next service.

Last edited by Matt0987; 09-14-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:03 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric The Welder
lol thats the problem, ive searched here and get opinions from every single angle. lol switching from amsoil in the motor to mobile 1 should be fine right?
For the engine, both AMSOIL and Mobil 1 20w50 have been proven and tested over and over to be excellent performers.

For the primary/trans, that is where the debate really gets complicated.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go with Mobil 1 75w90 in the primary for sure.

As for the transmission you would do well with either the same 75w90 mobil 1, or Redline Heavy Shockproof, or any of the other top tier gear oils.

Then again, there are lots of reports of guys running mobil 1 20w50 in all three holes for many tens of thousands of trouble free and hard miles.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:14 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 217 Posts

IMO gear oil in the primary is a bit heavy. I tried synthetic ATF type F this round, I have about 1000 miles on it. The primary is nosier with the ATF and I now get a slight whine in 4th gear, but neutral is easier to find (but that may just be the clutch adjustment). I am going to drain it and put some good old dino 10W40 (non-energy conserving) back in when I get time.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:16 PM
mudder
Tourer
Received 232 Likes on 74 Posts

I am definitely sold on Redline for the tranny, smoother and quieter in mine

Old 09-14-2011, 09:16 PM

I went with Redline heavy shock proof lube, adjusted the clutch and it was MUCH better! I just added the HD chrome shift linkage kit, and I feel that has made the MOST improvement...

Old 09-14-2011, 09:17 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Spectro platinum tranny oil...you can thank me later...

Old 09-14-2011, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by mudder
I am definitely sold on Redline for the tranny, smoother and quieter in mine
AGREED!!

Quick Reply: will different tranny fluid make shifting easier and nutral easier to find?