Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

upgrade to touring model

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 05:27 PM
Bruce Jackson
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upgrade to touring model

Looking to upgrade to a touring model...I currently am riding a Super Glide Custom and after taking my wife for her first ride the other day (she loved it!) we decided we should look for a bigger bike for some longer trips. Any advice? First thought was going with a Road Glide Ultra. I've heard a few comments that the fact that the fairing doesn't turn with the handlebars might take some getting used to...
For the most part we want something comfortable, with good luggage-looking at trips of a few days at this point. Thanks for the input!

Old 09-14-2011, 05:30 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are a few Road Glides out there but the Street Glide and Ultra Classic are probably the most popular touring model. Mine is an '09 with the tour pak off. Kind of a cloned street glide.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:36 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

If she and you are new to this- wait awhile before jumping in whole hog.

lots of bikes sitting in garages because owners thought the first impression would be lasting (kinda like boats).

the extra luggage space comes into play for more than overnight trips, that you can do with a backpack, softbags etc.
radio is nice, fairing--- also nice but like any bike it's going to be windy and maybe wet--- the touring bike helps but does not mean car-like comfort bubble.

Get a few weekend trips in first--- unless money is no-object, in which case go shopping now!

mike

Old 09-14-2011, 05:51 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 130 Posts

Might as well go for the Ultra. You'll end up there eventually anyway.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:12 PM
davidsdad
Road Warrior

I just moved from my 2007 Dyna Streetbob about a month ago to a new 2011 Road King with no regrets. Rides really great!!!!!!!!! Go for it!!!

Old 09-14-2011, 06:39 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts

IF you plan on getting a Road Glide Ultra, the first thing you will do is to get rid of the windshield. Because the buffeting is really bad and it might impede on your vision. Depending on your height. Do not recommend the windsplitter but will reduce and I mean slightly reduce buffeting. It will be more tolerable.

Don't worry about the fairings not moving when turning. If you have ever ridden sportbikes then it will be non issue. You will not be focused on the dash in the first place.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:02 PM
joflewbyu2
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had 09 FXDC that I traded for a FLHTC. FXDC was more fun as more agile being 155 lbs lighter. I wanted saddlebags hence the trade. Wish I should have pulled the trigger of the Screamin' Eagle Fatbob. Lighter and more powerful. The one plus is a radio on the touring bike. If it was a Roadking, I would have sold it already.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:38 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 578 Likes on 305 Posts

After spending 16 of the first 24 years of my life on bikes, I ended up on a twenty year hiatus due to family responsibilities. Finally got back aboard and bought a Dyna Lowrider. Enjoyed that for several years but it was just too small for long rides and even short rides 2-up. The misses and I rented an Ultra for a day and really enjoyed the 300 miles we put on that day. But I just wasn't sure I wanted to give up my Dyna. So we agreed, if I bought a used Ultra I could keep the Dyna too. So I found a good deal on an '07 Ultra. Put a few thousand miles on it fairly quickly. One recent day I decided to take the Dyna out just to put a few miles on it. Rode for 5 miles or so and I couldn't wait to get back home and put it away. I now know the Ultra is the only bike I need. I do have the detachable King Toupak and when I remove it and change out the seat to my C & C Solo and replace the full screen with a LRS 7" recurve, I have a bike more resembling a Street Glide, easier handling and much sportier look. It truly is the best of both worlds. & If you shop around for a used and find it's not the bike you thought, you can almost always get back what you paid and move on to something else. Good luck!

Old 09-14-2011, 11:46 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce Jackson
I've heard a few comments that the fact that the fairing doesn't turn with the handlebars might take some getting used to...
............. oh, not this**** again !

Old 09-14-2011, 11:47 PM
Nickpisp
Road Captain

Do it, I moved from a Street Bob to a Street Glide a couple of months ago.

Quick Reply: upgrade to touring model