Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VSS voltage/speed data?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 10:18 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Default VSS voltage/speed data?

Anybody have info on the vehicle speed sensor output voltage values relative to speed values. I want to build a speed activated switch that operates off the OEM VSS signal.Thanks.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:25 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The VSS is digital.

It sends a pulse each time a tooth goes past the sensor and the ECM counts the pulses and works out how fast the bike is going.

So you cant drive your switch with this sensor directly.

One way to do it would be to buy or make a shift light. The shift light counts the spark pulses and turns on the light when the count exceeds the set point. you could use that circuit to count the VSS pulses and operate a relay to do whatever it is you are trying to do.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:13 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by kingkingking
The VSS is digital.

It sends a pulse each time a tooth goes past the sensor and the ECM counts the pulses and works out how fast the bike is going.

So you cant drive your switch with this sensor directly.

One way to do it would be to buy or make a shift light. The shift light counts the spark pulses and turns on the light when the count exceeds the set point. you could use that circuit to count the VSS pulses and operate a relay to do whatever it is you are trying to do.
Thanks, electronics aint my strong suit, but thats probably obvious by my lack of understanding of the VSS. I'll look into the shift light possibility. If there is an easy way to skin this cat I would sure like to know what it is. Seems like there would be a standard switch for this purpose.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:44 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Old 09-14-2011, 06:47 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fabrik8r

That will do the trick.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:37 AM
tryus
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Jason, did you ever find out any more info on exactly what the PWM frequency values are, relative to speed? I'm researching that Speed switch/time delay relay we have been PM'ing each other about, and I have an idea, but I'm not sure what voltage/ pulse widths harley uses.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:36 AM
WARDSPARTSWERKS
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tryus
Hey Jason, did you ever find out any more info on exactly what the PWM frequency values are, relative to speed? I'm researching that Speed switch/time delay relay we have been PM'ing each other about, and I have an idea, but I'm not sure what voltage/ pulse widths harley uses.
The SailesMarketing switch I used has a pushbutton to set trigger speed/frequency so I didn't need to know the pulse generator values. I just hold steady at desired speed and hit the button then it switches at that speed. Easy opertion but expensive. Sorry I don't have the info you need.