Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burning sensation in upper back when riding. How to cure?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 05:04 PM
FLORIDABAGGER
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning sensation in upper back when riding. How to cure?

I have an 07 SG with stock bars, seat and forward controls. For some reason today while riding I got a strong burning sensation throughout my ride. To the point I came home after about 2 hrs.

Im about 5'8''. I know Its my preference on bars and parts that go on my bike.

Anyone have any suggestions? What size bars have you guys gone with to help this? I want to go with 12'' apes most likely. I plan on doing long trips in the future and this would be a ride killer for me.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 09-13-2011, 05:07 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

I like the Khromewerks 300505 +2 sweepers. I'd also ditch the stock street glide seat.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:27 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Upper back pain means you were probably reaching too far forward.

Look for a bar setup with more pullback, that should allow you to relax your upper back.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Sgt. Fury
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might wanna put the floorboards back on instead of the forwards. And change the seat.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:36 PM
Bigwillie
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Just a thought, if you have been riding that same set up for a wile with no problems,, you could have hurt your cervical spine in your neck, you work with your hands,lifting? you could pinch a nerve and only have pain in your arm and not even know you hurt yourself, ask me how i know! just something to think about. i found out when i went to the doctor for something totaly different and he ask me a general how am i feeling question, told him burning pain in my left arm, sent me for a mri and wamo 3 herniated disc, going for surgery soon. oh yea the pain is killing me!

Old 09-13-2011, 05:52 PM
FLORIDABAGGER
Banned

Originally Posted by solowrider
Just a thought, if you have been riding that same set up for a wile with no problems,, you could have hurt your cervical spine in your neck, you work with your hands,lifting? you could pinch a nerve and only have pain in your arm and not even know you hurt yourself, ask me how i know! just something to think about. i found out when i went to the doctor for something totaly different and he ask me a general how am i feeling question, told him burning pain in my left arm, sent me for a mri and wamo 3 herniated disc, going for surgery soon. oh yea the pain is killing me!

Well I do have a bad back and neck from the Army. But this hardly ever happened before. Maybe I did hurt it. Who knows.

To the guy who mentioned floorboards. Dont have them. Bike came with forwards.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:57 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Common issue with RK riders its always the bars, change the bars. Right in the middle of the back on top of the spine?

Old 09-13-2011, 06:05 PM
FLORIDABAGGER
Banned

Originally Posted by masterblaster
Common issue with RK riders its always the bars, change the bars. Right in the middle of the back on top of the spine?

Yup, all the way across my back. Top portion. I feel fine now. But it was painful. I had to let go of bars and kind of lean back on passenger seat to relieve some tension. Well, tried too.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:19 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Suggest you do a search of this section, use heritage bars as your search term. I went with aftermarket bars on my Ultra but didn't need them, the stockers were just fine. I almost took my 07 RKC back to the dealer after my first 800 mile day because of the exact same pain, pout heritage bars on and viola no pain. I even have heritage bars on my Dyna now to eliminate any chance of pain. I also have a 12 inch scar down my back from a broken back and subsequent operation so I am a little paranoid after not walking more than 10 feet for a year and a half.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:26 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

try riding with a home depot type back support. not too restrictive and provides some support.

Quick Reply: Burning sensation in upper back when riding. How to cure?