Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

latest greatest GPS

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 12:43 PM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts
Default latest greatest GPS

Well I don't really need the greatest, but do want a good one. To date I haven't really needed one for ground navigation since I know where I am going, but I plan a trip late October from south AL, to Savannah, Ashville NC, Charleston WV, NE TN and eventually back home. That will venture me out of my familiar zone and give me an excuse to get a good GPS. Any suggestions and clean efficient mounting on the EG limited. I regularly use GPS when flying, but not yet in a car or bike. Frankly I don't know what whistles and bell the new units have, but if anything like the new Mustang, it's way more electronically advanced than me.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:50 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 515 Likes on 317 Posts

Do a search for "GPS", and you'll find lots of options.
Most of it will come down to personal choice. What type/brand, or how you want it mounted.
One thing I will say is a "must have", is for whatever GPS you pick make sure it has the ability to add custom routes. Not all of them do.

Here is a link to how I did mine:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...gps-mount.html

Old 09-13-2011, 12:54 PM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

I am using the Garmin 550. So far I like it......

Old 09-13-2011, 12:56 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Best one Iv'e used is the one on my droid x.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:04 PM
boro
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Adaptiv Technologies has an excellent mount solution, but about $100 with accessory. Make sure GPS has newest resolution capability (about 1 meter?) And, get known good mfr, like Garmin or Magellan.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Feeeeg
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was gonna say, if you have a smartphone, you have a gps...

I have familiarity with Blackberry, if you dont need turn by turn, it is good, as long as you can read a map.

I have familiarity with Iphone, not very impressed with the installed maps program, however the garmin app which is .99 and a $20 yearly fee is a pretty good app.

My problem with standalone gps, is that you spend $100+ for a gps unit, and 3 years from now you have 3 yr old maps. With a cell phone based gps, and a yearly fee, you always have updated maps...

Also cell phones use location aiding technology, simply put, it relies on gps, as well as cell tower to pinpoint your destination, and is more accurate. Plus since they are in constant communication with cellular signal, a good amount of the gps apps have traffic function, and man, that can be a trip saver.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:25 PM
martin14
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Garmin, its not bad... the more money you spend, the more bells and whistles you can have.

Perhaps a better question for you is to decide what options you want, because
I dont think there is really much difference between Garmin and Tom Tom.

I have a yearly update from Garmin, no problem.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:28 PM
Feeeeg
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by martin14

I have a yearly update from Garmin, no problem.

Thats good to know, when I bought my magellan (granted it was over 5 years ago) there were no updates included, I had to pay for every update if I wanted one. And we spent over 250 on the unit!!!

Old 09-13-2011, 01:36 PM
aviaator
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Feeeeg
Also cell phones use location aiding technology, simply put, it relies on gps, as well as cell tower to pinpoint your destination, and is more accurate. Plus since they are in constant communication with cellular signal, a good amount of the gps apps have traffic function, and man, that can be a trip saver.
The problem with cell phones is that only the blue dot comes from the gps signal. The map underneath the dot comes from cell tower data. Not a problem until you run out of cell coverage then only have a blue dot on a blank grid. Happens to me all the time in rural VA (ATT iPhone) and I suspect the OP will have issues in the mountains of NC/TN.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:36 PM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like money is no object to me - so why mess around?
Get Garmins top of the line moto friendly GPS and be done with it.
CLICK HERE: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=135&pID=65203

Quick Reply: latest greatest GPS