Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

latest greatest GPS

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 09:23 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

I look at mine and use the google street view in the city and the overhead google map view going down the road. No problem with sunlight or vibration. Plus i get my music!

Old 09-14-2011, 10:24 AM
riden2low
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Garmin 550 with the XM radio antenna. Love it

Old 09-14-2011, 12:27 PM
Guitar4Him
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gm9
The one thing I haven't figured out yet is how to get outgoing voice through the helmet headset microphone. I suppose I could use a handsfree phone microphone but that would be too much cable clutter. Anyone else get this to work?
Get a Bomm Interface. It works great....

http://www.hdbomm.com/

Last edited by Guitar4Him; 09-14-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:13 PM
cballweg
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Feeeeg
I was gonna say, if you have a smartphone, you have a gps...

I have familiarity with Blackberry, if you dont need turn by turn, it is good, as long as you can read a map.

I have familiarity with Iphone, not very impressed with the installed maps program, however the garmin app which is .99 and a $20 yearly fee is a pretty good app.

My problem with standalone gps, is that you spend $100+ for a gps unit, and 3 years from now you have 3 yr old maps. With a cell phone based gps, and a yearly fee, you always have updated maps...

Also cell phones use location aiding technology, simply put, it relies on gps, as well as cell tower to pinpoint your destination, and is more accurate. Plus since they are in constant communication with cellular signal, a good amount of the gps apps have traffic function, and man, that can be a trip saver.
TomTom has free map and operating system upgrades for life!

Old 09-14-2011, 06:15 PM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

A lot of great information has been posted. I don't have an I-phone, I-pad, droid, or any of the other fancy cell phones, just a basic Nokia that I don't use to access the web, or such. Just emergency communications. I would like the Garmin Zuma 660 and may still get it, but since I am adding the Progressive 940's and a couple other things, an expensive GPS might just have to wait. Plan to retire in a couple of years and maybe the "good" GPS then. In the meantime I might look at a cheaper unit to get me by for a couple of years. Then again maybe I'll bite the bullet. Thanks for all the great posts.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:47 PM
XSKIPRO
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aviaator
The problem with cell phones is that only the blue dot comes from the gps signal. The map underneath the dot comes from cell tower data. Not a problem until you run out of cell coverage then only have a blue dot on a blank grid. Happens to me all the time in rural VA (ATT iPhone) and I suspect the OP will have issues in the mountains of NC/TN.
I have the TOM TOM app for iphone4 and it works great, Never have problems in Mtns or valleys!
Plus I only have one thing on my bars for Music, GPS, Camera and Phone all in 1.
I use a RAM mount with cradle and it works great.
I also wired up the Isimple so it charges as I ride.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:05 PM
WZ4I
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Garmin 855 here. Custom routing via MapQuest, a PC and a USB cable. Waterproof using a Glad sandwich bag! LOL. I got less than a 100 bucks in the thing.

The downside to a Android Smartphone (I have the Moto Droid X) is multi-destination routing. It's not currently supported. It's okay for Point A to Point B. But, that's not usually how I travel.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:16 PM
dukdog
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

iPhone 4 with GPS Drive app. LIke XSKIPRO, I have only one device on my bars. I use the 4Lock mount and housing. Couldn't be happier.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:56 PM
vanlente
Advanced
Default Zumo

I have the Garmin 665 by the way Garmin makes the Harley Zumo, Harley preloads all of their dealership info (nice). The Garmin is MC friendly, can get wet, I've dropped it (a few times), I can use the touch screen with my gloves on, it has multiple modes for day and night driving. Really the only thing I am aware of specifically designed for the motorcycle. Get a good mount, you said you had an Ultra I believe, I used the fairing mount and it worked great. Don't get me wrong I like to save a few bucks but if you use it a lot the phone or other brands just don't measure up. In this case you get what you pay for.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:56 PM
NOLAMike
Road Master

I use a more than 2 year old Samsung Moment android phone. I also stream Pandora while running Google Nav. I've never had a problem with it, nor has it drained the battery while plugged in to a charging source. It's probably not as nice as a motorcycle specific GPS but those units just cost too damn much for my taste.

Quick Reply: latest greatest GPS