Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

latest greatest GPS

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 02:23 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Road Tech 660 here. Never let me down... 20 hours of MP3s on the internal memory.

I had a Tom-Tom Rider...... what a piece of.................. stupid thing tried to route me through a corn field.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:26 PM
HFS
Club Member
Received 340 Likes on 205 Posts

Look into the kuryakyn fuel door mount. Well I like it anyhow. It puts the gps on your fuel door, if you have an Electra-Glide style bike (or Road Glide too).

It has the gps centered on the bike, and a small he'd nod is all that's required.

Regardless find a gps with hotel listings and PHONE NUMBERS. It really is helpfull. Imagine 4:00 and no vacancy signs everywhere. 1:00 and phone ahead...

Have a great trip regardless...

Old 09-13-2011, 02:29 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by FLHXHS
Look into the kuryakyn fuel door mount. Well I like it anyhow. It puts the gps on your fuel door, if you have an Electra-Glide style bike (or Road Glide too).

It has the gps centered on the bike, and a small he'd nod is all that's required.

Regardless find a gps with hotel listings and PHONE NUMBERS. It really is helpfull. Imagine 4:00 and no vacancy signs everywhere. 1:00 and phone ahead...

Have a great trip regardless...

I had one of those....... they are OK until you crack the throttle hard and your fuel door pops open from the weight of the GPS.

I think it's still in the garage at the bottom of the Kuryakyn "not good enough to use" pile.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:30 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't screw around, just go to your local HD shop and get the latest Zumo. It's made for a motorcycle, so rain, glare from sun, and gloved hands are no problem. Plus it can be wired into your system and directions will be broadcast thru your stereo speakers.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:33 PM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Id use my android too, I just cant see it outside if the sun is out. Those that use your smartphones, is your screen that much brighter than mine? Ive got an EVO.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:46 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member

I've found that map updating is so far behind, considering all of the new road construction. Even when construction has been finished for several years the updated maps continue to be obsolete in a lot of cases. Whether I select the FASTEST or the SHORTEST routes on my Garmin Nuvi 5000 it seems to be wrong more often than right in choosing the best way to go.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Gunkholes
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Feeeeg
Sorry dont think about that up here where cell signal is good, plus

I suspect it wont happen as much on verizon (sorry had to do it)

Charging unit,

But still a good point about the rain.....
I can attest to the fact that you'll lose Verizon coverage in much of the mountain West. That, plus the fact that my Droid runs very hot and will slowly lose the battery in GPS mode, even when on the charger, is why I've stuck with my Zumo 550. Contrary to another post, I've had zero problems with mine, and the maps are up-to-date. Once it craps, I'll look for other options, but it's served my needs for several years.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:01 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gunkholes
I can attest to the fact that you'll lose Verizon coverage in much of the mountain West. That, plus the fact that my Droid runs very hot and will slowly lose the battery in GPS mode, even when on the charger, is why I've stuck with my Zumo 550. Contrary to another post, I've had zero problems with mine, and the maps are up-to-date. Once it craps, I'll look for other options, but it's served my needs for several years.
I installed a 3000mAh extended life battery in my Samsung Android. I only have to charge it about every 3 to 4 days of fairly continuous use.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:03 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gunkholes
I don't think he was referring to a Zumo. Garmin also makes a Nuvi550..... totally different animal

Old 09-13-2011, 03:03 PM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior

I've got an older Zumo 550 that's still running strong. If it dies and can't be repaired, I'll get the latest one Garmin has.

PROS: A real motorcycle GPS is designed to be waterproof, and you can use it wearing gloves. Important features. It also plays MP3's, I have two cards with a thousand songs on each one. I can go for while before I get tired of listening to them.
It also has bluetooth, so I can see on my screen if an important call comes in, I just pull over and call them back. You can pair it with your headset and take calls while riding, but I'm not gonna go there. And finally, you can mount it to your dash and have all the wires hidden, especially if you get Iron Cross audio to add an AUX In port to the back of your radio.

CONS: The Zumo is expensive. Two to three times what you'll pay for other solutions. But to me it is such an integral part of the bike, I couldn't imagine touring without it.

Quick Reply: latest greatest GPS