Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pieces of metal on primary magnet

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 09:11 AM
carltex
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pieces of metal on primary magnet

I'm taking a trip Thursday morning from Dallas to northern Arkansas and was changing oil today and found when I took out the primary drain plug it had a couple of pieces of metal on the magnet about 1/16" long. Bike is an 06 FLHXI. Just hoping it's nothing major. Need some help with what to do next. Thanks.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:13 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It's normal to pick up metal specs on the drain plug. Sometimes it will look like Don King's hair.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:32 AM
carltex
Road Warrior

Not the Don lookin stuff but small chunks. I kinda expect the gray fro on the magnet to a certain extent. Ok, went out to measure the size of the pieces with calipers and they appear to be magnetic. Stator maybe? I'm kinda crunched for time.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:53 AM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hows the bike sound? metal chips becuase of bearing failure will sound noisy , but metal chips as a result of missed starter gear alignment wouldn't be too revealing during normal operation. Are you getting the bang grind sound on subsequent starts of the day?

Old 09-13-2011, 10:08 AM
carltex
Road Warrior

Largest chip is .125" x .06". Haven't noticed any noise except the other day the wife noticed a squeeking noise but when I pulled the clutch in it quit. No trouble on starting lately. Did just change the battery though. Maybe a starter issue. Old battery was starting to drag. Guess I'll just put in new fluid and keep an ear on it for anything unusual. Hopefully the magnet catches any lingering chips. One thing though, the inside part of the chain rivets seem to have rubbed against something. That's all I can see.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:24 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you didn't say how many miles you have on your bike. seems like inner primary bearings crap out at 15K intervals when they do crap out...some folks have gone 40K plus miles with the original IPB. If you have had starter grind metal chips is likely clutch hub ring gear teeth to starter drive teeth. These are usally very dark in color. IPB failure would be noisy and the chips are lighter in color.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:41 PM
carltex
Road Warrior

I've got 25000 on it now. This trip is probably gonna be 800 miles anyway. Haven't heard any unusual noise from the primary. Guess I'll see.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:04 AM
fragmentum
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Metal in primary

I have some metal particles on my primary drain plug as well and wonder if I should be concerned at this point.
Dealer replaced my stock compensating sprocket with a Screamin' Eagle compensator about 2000 miles ago and refilled primary with HD Primary oil (I normally use 20W50 Amsoil in there). I have it apart to replace the 39929-06A automatic chain tensioner with the 39929-06B model. Picture attached of the drain plug prior to cleaning (I will also replace the damaged O-ring).
I am thinking this may be new metal from the new compensating sprocket installation. I am not getting any other tell tale noises from within the primary area.
I may well just reassemble the lot and run it to see if additional metal presents itself. May be a bearing coming unglued but like I say, no new noises occurring or drive train malfunctions.

Suggestions???

Attached Thumbnails Pieces of metal on primary magnet-dsc02655.jpg  
Old 11-03-2011, 11:22 AM
julesdain
Road Captain

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

I am thinking this may be new metal from the new compensating sprocket installation. I am not getting any other tell tale noises from within the primary area.
That is what I was thinking as well. I'd say you are fine but if you are worried about it then change your primary oil earlier than called for or just check your plug in about 500 miles. Have a rag handy

Old 11-03-2011, 01:35 PM
fragmentum
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by julesdain
That is what I was thinking as well. I'd say you are fine but if you are worried about it then change your primary oil earlier than called for or just check your plug in about 500 miles. Have a rag handy
Good plan....

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Pieces of metal on primary magnet