Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebar adjustment question

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 10:16 PM
kdfoster
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handlebar adjustment question

I was going to adjust my handlebars on my ultra per service manual, and I took the ignition switch and fairing cap off to get to the two bolts, but there wasn't enough clearance between the bolts and the instrument panel to get a socket in to loosen the bolts. Is there some kind of special star wrench tool to loosen these bolts? Thanks

Old 09-12-2011, 10:22 PM
Phat09flhx
Road Captain

Nope, I ended up pulling the stereo to get to my bolts properly. Have you maybe tried a boxed end wrench that is curved down? I didn't try that since I didn't own one.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:26 PM
James K
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ended up using a ball allen and it was still a PITA.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:28 PM
kdfoster
Cruiser

The bolts on mine are star bolts with a rounded head, and there is very little clearance. So I couldn't use a box wrench.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:55 PM
fxdxruss
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you saying TORX bolts nad not allen . Either way I have adjusted te bars before by loosening just the 2 under the ignition and acessories cover yes it is tight and not a lot of room but can be done, the two I did were allen. MAKE SURE YOU USE THE RIGHT TORX OR YOU CAN MAKE FOR A BIG MESS IF YOU RUIN THE INSIDE OF THAT TORX.

Russ

Old 09-12-2011, 11:03 PM
kdfoster
Cruiser

It's a Torx bolt. I just call them star bolts. But anyway, I don't have a torx wrech or socket that will fit in that tight of place. There is just not enough room.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:43 AM
fxdxruss
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have or can get one of the small bits which fit in the end of driver handle, you can use a 1/4 in box wrench to turn the bit. From what I rember you do not need to loosen thr pinch bot that much to rotate the bars. ( some times I will tape the bit in if I can not hold or keep the wrench on)
Russ

Old 09-13-2011, 08:07 AM
Mevman
Advanced

I use a long torx bit that is part of a combo fold-up set. About 4" or so long. I put a rag to use as a cushion and to prevent scrap damage to the radio bezel and just get it in as straight as I can and then turn the bolt.
You just need to get the bottom two loose by a 1/4 turn or so and the bars will rotate where you need them. I raise mine up nearly all the way.
Make sure to tighten as much as you can and keep that torx wrench straight and seated or you will mess up the head of the bolt.
Good luck.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:25 AM
Toe Knee
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by James K
I ended up using a ball allen and it was still a PITA.
This is how i did it. Go slow and use a decent ball allen and you'll be fine. The first time sucks....the second and third times are a breeze.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:37 AM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To raise bars my indy had me grab a bar and lift the bike while he grabbed the other.We shook it til bars rose about an inch which was perfect for me.Total time,1 minute.

Quick Reply: Handlebar adjustment question