Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pacific Coast Highway

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 10:01 PM
Jukebox
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pacific Coast Highway

Thinking about taking a trip to the PCH and I was wondering if anyone else has taken a trip on it can maybe give me some pointers or advice as to what parts might be a good place to start and how far to ride? Where to get off where to stay and what to see? I have relatives in Modesto so I have a place to stay thats about 2hrs from San Fransisco. So any info would be helpful.
Thanks Guys

Old 09-12-2011, 10:23 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You must ride the GGB and the Redwood National Forest. Some of the roads are slimy, some have infrequent stopping places. beautiful countryside though!

i did the whole thing from washtington to LA (not all at once) and i'm very glad i can check that off my list of things to see/do

Old 09-12-2011, 10:39 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts

I also have ridden the whole thing but in three trips. If you are coming from Texas I'd try to catch it going north at about San Luis Obisbo and ride north until I had to go home. If you are leaving from San Fransisco it's cool in either direction. If you go south, Monterrey, Carmel, and Big Sur are on Highway 1 and fun. We went north from San Francisco last year. We had to go through downtown San Fran to go over the Golden Gate but the road gets nice as soon as you cross it. Beautiful scenery, a lot of switchbacks. Rode through an archway cut through a Giant Redwood. Avenue of the Giants is a must. The road just exits 101 after 1 quits just out of Garberville.

The PCH is definitely one of my favorite rides and I live in Colorado, so I'm pretty spoiled for great places to ride.

Last edited by Northside; 09-12-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:41 PM
redsled
Cruiser

Ride North to South so you'll be on the ocean side of the road. Allow a lot of time if you want to do the whole thing from WA to LA - parts of it are very tight and windy (as in lots of turns, not lots of wind) and you will not be able to go very far in a day. It's all good. Lots of parks and redwoods up north, beaches and cruisy as you head south.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:46 PM
Troubleman
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

If you've never done it before, you should catch it at San Clemente and take in the So Cal beach scene. Not good riding, but part of the experience. Riding doesn't get good until you get out of San Luis Obispo. From there to the Columbia River, aside from a few short stretches, ie...the Bay Area, the ride is indescribably spectacular. Lots of stuff to stop and do, depending on what you like. Could take you 3 or more days to get to Modesto, not far from me. Really no pleasant way to get to and from Hwy 1 from Modesto. Plenty of tourist traps along the way, but you wouldn't be disappointed stopping at most of the small towns along the way. All have great places to eat if you talk to the locals. Fall is usually good weather, but expect fog. Wet wind blown fog. Impossible to predict, so be prepared. I usually hit part once a year, and never get tired of it.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:25 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I have done it all and just did the northern part on my ride back from Alaska. The Oregon coast is the best in my opinion but the whole coastline is outstanding. Enjoy, ride safe.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:31 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

there are some roads that run between the 101 and the 1. if ya have the time to zig zag back and forth you'll find some of the best riding with no traffic anywhere.....

Old 09-12-2011, 11:51 PM
Hog Heaven
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davewear
there are some roads that run between the 101 and the 1. if ya have the time to zig zag back and forth you'll find some of the best riding with no traffic anywhere.....
+1 The stretch going north from Hwy. 1 to 101 at Leggett is chocked full of twisties. It flat wore us out, but I'd do it all over again.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:00 AM
gaber6
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bodega Bay just North of San Fransisco is where Hitchcock filmed the Birds.. I camped there one night. Got awakened every 40 seconds or so as the lighthouse foghorn went off all night.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:30 AM
Ken Baer
Cruiser

My recommendation: Leave Modesto early on a Sunday morning and ride to Alice's Restaurant in Skylonda (use Googlemaps.com) and have breakfast: http://www.alicesrestaurant.com/.
From Alice's take HWY84 (La Honda Road) west to the PCH then turn right (north). Take PCH north to HWY35, then left onto the Great Hwy, and continue north to Geary Blvd, SF, and turn right. Take Geary Blvd east to O'Farrell (on the right), O'Farrell to Market (left), and Market to Second (turn right). Continue on Second and just past Mission and look for Eddie Rickenbacker's on the left. Park and have lunch. You'll love Eddies: http://www.eddiericks.com/ From Eddies it's easy to navigate back to Modesto via HWY 80 to 580.

Quick Reply: Pacific Coast Highway