Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pacific Coast Highway

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 02:27 PM
09baggerguy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

love the hunter-liggett route to route 1

Old 09-18-2011, 04:21 PM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I've only ridden the southern half, but If I get the chance again, I'm definitely going to go between 1 and 101. I have read about great diners practically unchanged from the 50s and 60s, some of them have the hot rod car theme (that peaks my interest if no one elses) some have just the old car theme, like one has every year Chevy mounted on the roof from ~59 to ~72. I'll have to do the research to find out which one, but not gonna waste my time if that doesn't interest you.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:16 PM
Matt0987
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rode with a group from San Jose to Big Sur a couple of weeks ago. It is a beautiful ride. Cool, overcast. But you are at the coast. That has to be expected there.

I am always amazed at the estates sitting on the rocks in the Carmel area. The ocean crashing against the rocks just below the houses.

There is a cool biker store at Moss Landing. You should stop in there. J&S something.

You will cross Bixby Bridge. It is a coastal bridge that is in commercials now and then. Especially car commercials.

If you get north of the Golden Gate Bridge you should pull off and go to the west. There is San Bonita light house right at the north side headlands.

Oh, and the only remaining **** Missile launch site is in that area. An actual **** (It seems as though we are not allowed to mention the name of this type of missile that shares the name of a brand of athletic shoe.) missile base. Open on weekends. Very interesting. Actual missiles still there. You can ride the missile elevator down into the silo. You can touch the missiles. You can more info. about hours of operation via the internet.

And I do not believe anyone has mentioned the Giant Redwood Trees up in northern California. A couple are over 300 feet tall and 30 feet wide. Yes, they have saved a few of them.

A person(s) can find a lot of neat places and sites along highway 1.

And, if you are traveling on the 1 you are probably a tourist and could enjoy some of the tourist traps. Like riding the ferry over to Alcatraz island. Roaming the Wharf. Touring the WWII submarine.

Last edited by Matt0987; 09-18-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:41 PM
pettifogger1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Solvang, Hearst Castle, Monterrey (Cannary Row, Oldtown).

Old 09-18-2011, 05:53 PM
Matt0987
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pettifogger1
Solvang, Hearst Castle, Monterrey (Cannary Row, Oldtown).
Yes, and I believe there is still a vintage motorcycle museum in Solvang.

Oh, and the Monterey Bay Aquarium!!!!

Old 09-18-2011, 10:11 PM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Until recently, I've lived and have ridden the west coast for a long time. Lived in Coos Bay, Oregon, Huntington Beach and San Francisco, Ca and Seattle,Wa. Its all good. Pick a spot and ride. Really any place will reward with a great ride. Anything north of San Francisco can expect crummy weather. Be prepared. If you're rewarded with a sunny ride north of California, you're living the good life.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:28 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,572 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Take a stop a Motto bay rock. Then take a look at Hurst Castle! So many good suggestions.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:30 PM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I like Huntington Beach!
(cougar central)

Old 09-18-2011, 11:12 PM
max56
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

If you don't come here to see the very tip of the state, you'll be missing the most beautiful part of the state. I've spend the last 40 years from the southern part of the state, up here to the northern tip on the coast, and there is no place more awesome than right here. As an earlier poster said, if you do make it up here, the Samoa Cookhouse near Eureka would be an excellent place to stop and eat. Then come the rest of the way on up. Everyone should experience this...and then go back home.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:54 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I did it from Seattle to San Franciso in late June this year. Slow going with the twists, turns and switch backs. Narrow bumpy and sharp turns with shear drop offs with no guard rails. It was more fun than the Dragon. It was a challenge to do 400 miles in one day.

Quick Reply: Pacific Coast Highway