Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pacific Coast Highway

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 12:38 AM
S1dewinder
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did it in '02, had absolutely no plan and no clear destination. Just went, just rode, PCH from Denver to northern Ca somewhere, to LA. LA freeways will get you killed, be careful. But it was absolutely amazing. Stop when you want. Ride when you want.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:39 AM
leon anthony
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I live in Santa Cruz right on the P.C.H, You did not say how much time you have, If time Is short leave Modesto and get over to Santa Cruz and then head south the Pacific coast Highway is best from Momterry to Morro Bay altho it is pretty all the way .
I have rode the whole road several times.
Leon Anthony

Old 09-13-2011, 01:04 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

I live now in LA and have lived in both northern, central and southern California. A few thoughts:
* The Pacific Coast Highway is California Route 1, but is called "PCH" throughout California. In a similar fashion Los Angeles is always "LA" and San Franciso is always "San Francisco" or "The City" never "Frisco."
* I would start where Interstate 10 ends at Highway 1 in Santa Monica and then head north, or start in Washington State and head south through Crescent City.
* You will need several weeks at the very minimum to see the entire route. Bear in mind that this is like riding from Florida to Connecticut on two lane very twisty roads at 30 MPH or so that make up about 40%-50% of the ride. We used to have folks that would come to visit when I lived up in the Bay Area and then they'd want to go to dinner in LA . . . Geez, that's about 400 miles . . .
* Modesto is a fair ways from the coast. About a 3 hour ride, assuming you don't go through the Bay Area as that can add quite a bit of time to the equation depending on the day and the time of day. If you're going to be in Modesto, I'd highly recommend going to Yosemite National Park as that's only about 45 minutes west of Modesto and then take Hwy 49 north to Sacramento and the Gold Discovery Site with maybe a side run to Lake Tahoe.
* There are obvious places to stop and see like: Vencie Beach, Santa Barbara Mission, Hearst Castle, Pt. Lobos, Carmel by the Sea, Santa Cruz, The Sequoias, San Francisco, The Golden Gate Bridge, The Redwoods, Pt. Reyes, The Lost Coast, Pt. Arena, etc. etc., etc.
* Are you camping, hotels, or B&B's?
* Dress for all kinds of weather at any time of the year. Don't believe all the movies. It can go from over 100 to the low 50's and back in less than an hour's ride. With the exception of the Los Angeles basin, figure one degree change for every mile you travel going west to east (or vice versa).

Old 09-13-2011, 01:21 AM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 518 Likes on 361 Posts

Being a Calif (Bay Area) native, maybe I can help.

Skip SF (Frisco, whatever) It's an upholstered toilet.
And no fun on a motorcycle.

Hwy 1 is great no matter where, but the best part is between
Carmel and Morrow Bay. Big Sur, and that area.

If time is a factor, San Jose is less than 2 hrs from Modesto. Another 40 min
to Santa Cruz (Hwy 17) These are non commute times by the way.
Many good backroads. Yes, Hwy 9 to 35 to Alice's is nice, then 84 to the coast then South. But again (time?)

Plenty of Redwoods, camping etc.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:06 AM
Jukebox
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. This is all very helpful info. Time will be a factor. I have ridden Yosimite and it is beautiful. I also rode from Modesto to Monterey so I do know about the temp change. It wa tripple digits when we left Modesto but around 50* by the time we came down off the mountain into Monterey. I think that's what I will do again,then just pick up the PCH in Monterey and head south to Morro Bay then on back to Texas. Of corse I won't be doing this till next May but I always like to get lots of info on what I am planning on.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:03 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Did southern half last month, don't bring your gun, they are anti gun ****'s out there. Used to ride it back in 81, man Cali has changed, still a great trip though.

If ya start in southern Cali I suggest Redondo Beach stay at Porto Fino hotel, then have early breakfast at Joes down the street the head up the PCH.

Best breakfast on the west coast.

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8...e&ved=0CAQQtgM

Old 09-13-2011, 07:31 AM
knewt5
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by masterblaster
Did southern half last month, don't bring your gun, they are anti gun ****'s out there.

Greatest quote ever...jumbo shrimp anyone?!?!?

Old 09-13-2011, 07:38 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I agree starting in Santa Monica. I grew up there and ride PCH nearly every week. Cruise up through Malibu, Oxnard, Ventura and on up as far as you have time to ride. My favorite portion is from Cambria to Monterey. The best scenery around.

Drew

Old 09-13-2011, 08:44 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

All of the coast is beautiful. My favorite is between SF and Astoria Or. As said the Oregon coast is the best, and if you get to Eureka CA make sure you stop at the Somoa Cook House, it is an authentic old logging cook house and the food is awesome.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:00 AM
my1sthog
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by masterblaster
Did southern half last month, don't bring your gun, they are anti gun ****'s out there. Used to ride it back in 81, man Cali has changed, still a great trip though.

If ya start in southern Cali I suggest Redondo Beach stay at Porto Fino hotel, then have early breakfast at Joes down the street the head up the PCH.

Best breakfast on the west coast.

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8...e&ved=0CAQQtgM
Plus 1 on Joe's. Have eaten there many times. It is the best!

Quick Reply: Pacific Coast Highway