Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Wanted and Thx in Advance

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 03:51 PM
hdtucson
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help Wanted and Thx in Advance

I have been reading this and other boards for six months or so. I am coming off a Goldwing after five years and am very pleased with that bike. For numerous reasons I have decided to sell it and buy an 06 Ultra. I was ordered and the parts amanger wants me in this Tuesday for p&a ordering so all is here before the bike. I have an extensive list and hope to get advice from people who have experienced these mods.

I mean no disrespect to any one but I would like answers to these questions or reasonable advice only. I see some preach off subject for some reason.

I ride very long distances for pleasure. like everyone I want more power but it is not the priority. My priority is comfort, reliability and reasonable mpg, 40 plus at 65-75 mph. Please do not flame me on this. I do not like stopping unless I want to. I am coming off a 6 plus gallon tank. I do ride one up 60 percent but have a girlfriend who goes when she can on these trips. They tend to be coast to coast and or border to boarder, 5500 to 9500 miles once a year. I am seriously thinking of the four corners trip when this bike arrives.

1. My first question is the exhaust. I am told to get the tour muffler 65259. I wanted performance with stage one but not excessively pipes. I am seeing a pipe number 65115 on some boards as an alternative. What is the difference. Are there other pipes like the Vance and Hines thet the dealership can sell me that are not very loud but deliver more performance. I know this with the air cleaner is the biggest bang for the buck on performce so I want to maximize this decision.

2. I am 95 percent certain on the 95BB. I know this has been hashed over and over. I would like to hear from those that actually experienced the 88 and then the 95 with out the cams. What was the real difference. I am paying about 1120 for this and that seems reasonable for the BB but only if the difference is substantial and does not drop the mpg much. I hear it does not.

3. I have read and read on the cams. I am leaning toward cam upgrade and decided long ago I will take the 204 if I do. I am interested in highway passing and that 50-80 driving range most of the time. I would like to know if anyone has had the BB and later added the 204 and what the impact was. Again was the performance much better. Did the mpg pay a haeavy price.

4. My last performance upgrade I am considering is the Race Tuner. Anyone experienced this or knowledgable enough to tell me is it worth the money. I am not interested in the PC or others sytems, just the RT. If it is not worth the money I will stay with the map and flash. My thoughts are I am getting 20 percent off parts and labor and then with the deletion of the map or flash, I forget which one, the cost is not so bad. I see some claims of a couple horses or mpg from these devices, is that reality or BS.

5. I erred above, my last performance question is the constant debate on the heads. Is it reasonable with respect to cost and perfornce to ask for a little work on the stock heads while it is apart. What should it cost if I should ask. I want to go no further than this on the heads.

6. Anyone out there feel that the taller shield is better for protection. I am 5'10". I know all the safety issues and the eye level stuff. Again please do not ridicule me but like many Gold Wing riders, I had the extra tall Tulsa shield and loved it. Now I am looking at the much shorter standard shield on the Ultra and do not want excessive wind on these very long rides. My girl friend even noticed it and was curious what difference a passenger can expect. Anyone bought an aftermarket Tulsa for the Ultra. Any problems with the standard shield on long rides form people my size.

Here is a list of other items on the list currently, any comments on accessories I should consider for comfort or safety. If anyone has had unfavorable experience with any of these please let me know.

Back rest 52572
Tour pack rack 536

Old 07-14-2005, 03:54 PM
hdtucson
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help Wanted and Thx in Advance

Pardon that **** poor spelling. I should have checked in advance for all the typos and butterfingers.

Old 07-14-2005, 07:10 PM
JBBOOKS
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here's what I can help you with.

The Stage 1 will give you a very noticeable improvement in performance. No loss of fuel efficiency and I get around between 43 MPG with a high of 49 MPG. I went with the HD down load. A lot of guys go with the PC as it's a lot cheaper than the SERT and there are a ton of maps on their website. There has been some discussion of warantee issues with the PC, so make sure you nail that down with your dealer first.

I went with Screamin' Eagle One-Piece Slash Down Performance Mufflers #64903-99. These are the SE IIs for the touring bikes. They were recommended by my dealer, who has a race team and dynos bikes. I am very happy with them. I love the sound, they have a low rumble at idle and while cruising, but they bark pretty good when you get on them.

I do not have the 95 BB (yet). Many here do and speak well of that option. The expected HP and torque curves are posted on the HD website. I understand the 203 cam will give you more low end torque and the 204 is more for top end. I also understand improving the flow of the heads is a worthwhile decision.

As far as the windshield, you just go with what you like. My stock windshield is right at eye level and I will have to cut 2 inches off it (if I ever decide to use it) to make it right for me.

There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here who will, I'm sure, chime in shortly.

Good luck.

Old 07-14-2005, 08:36 PM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a couple of additional comments since I read your post after we spoke.
I am 6' tall and find the stock height windshield to be a bit annoying since the top of it is at eye level for me. I guess I have gotten used to it, but I am always trying to look over it or ducking down to look through it. My wife has commented that if she looks up the wind gets under the visor on her 3/4 helmet and yanks her head back. I've never had that experience myself, but then she has a higher seating position than I do.
I do have the tour pack rack and the riders backrest. Both were easy to install, and the backrest is a must have item IMO. If you are planning to install the tour pack spoiler it is important to keep the rack close to the passenger seat back to leave room for the spoiler.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Old 07-15-2005, 03:55 PM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Tuscon,

Boy where to start, First I bought my Road Glide with every intention of doing the 103" stroker kit, but, being an experimenter I simply did the stage 1 with stock mufflers and hey, the bike makes good power, gets 45 MPG which translates into 200 mile fuel stops. I'm not going to do anything else to the motor at this time. I suggest that you try the little at a time approach also.
As we speak I am having the 6 speed installed. I drove a Road Glide with one and really like the way it cruises at high, (80MPH), speed, it really calms the bike down. I may find that I need more power with the overdrive but I can cross that bridge when I drive over it. It may mean just an exaust change.
Windshield, what kind of helmet do you wear? with a full face I would want a lower windshield, open face try the stocker, you may like it.
Throttle boss, I use stock grips with a last generation throttle rocker, cost ten bucks and can't be beat.
As far as the power is concerned you won't get the kind of power that you got out of the wing, it's just a different kind of power, I think it's more satisfing but, you'll have to make up your own mind. My last bike was a Buell S3T, I know that there is nothing I can do to make the RG as fast as the Buell but, when I'm on the RG it's just as much fun, maybe even more so as I'm not always in danger of losing my license.

DC.