Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pictorial: installing Heritage-style handlebars on a 2011 Road King

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 05:59 AM
Pagan48
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by iceman5218
As many other people had noted, great thread and I hope this is a sticky somewhere. My question for you concerns the TBW. I know you put tape on tope of the sensor and the bars are notched. When you put everything back together do you just make sure the notches got back in the same grooves or is the sensor a little more complicated than that.

Again, great thread and I will be doing this as soon as the funds for the bars become available.
The notches are a couple different sizes and the TBW will only fit one way.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:28 AM
dr_jay
Intermediate
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pagan48
The notches are a couple different sizes and the TBW will only fit one way.
That sounds right to me, although I couldn't swear to it from my own memory. I don't think this is part of the procedure that you need to worry about. They probably only go one way, and if they don't, then it doesn't matter. Good luck to you.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:31 PM
ihbond
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thanks for the write up

Just wanted to say thanks for the write up. Took about 1.5 hours to do thanks to your images . I did break the green molex plug when trying to feed it back out. So be careful, and call around first to see who has extra cables they can sell or maybe give you off another bike they put apes on.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:36 PM
dr_jay
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ihbond
Just wanted to say thanks for the write up. Took about 1.5 hours to do thanks to your images . I did break the green molex plug when trying to feed it back out. So be careful, and call around first to see who has extra cables they can sell or maybe give you off another bike they put apes on.
You're quite welcome. Sorry about the plug. Maybe they just stick where the bars are creased, regardless of tape or no-tape on the plug. I'd recommend trying to pull the cable bundle through repeatedly, rotating it different ways, until it pulls through, without forcing it too much. But it's a tight fit: no doubt.

Jay

Old 04-29-2012, 12:24 PM
xboner
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. Just saved some bucks since I did the handlebars, grips and levers at the same time.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:23 PM
68 Shovelking
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_jay
Remove the decorative "spear" on top of the headlamp nacelle. It is held on with one locknut (5/16" socket) inside the top of the nacelle (not a word you use much in daily conversation). It just lifts off:

Next, we'll remove only the "handlebar clamp shroud". No need to remove the entire nacelle, although it's a bit challenging to get at the electrical connectors through the headlamp hole alone. Just undo the 2 screws which are right next to the fork lock:

and then one tiny screw on top which was under the spear. Here, I'm holding the small locknut and washer which are underneath. It's tight, but you can move the wires and get 2 fingers on them while you unscrew the screw:

Just pull off the handlebar clamp shroud:

Here's a tip I figured out doing my bars this weekend I thought I'd share. Rather than fully remove the nut and washer from the front of the top clamp cover, just loosen the nut and pull the back of the cover up, then back the screw through the slotted hole at the rear of the nacelle. I was able to do the same in reverse on assembly, which eliminated much frustration.
Outstanding job on this installation guide Dr Jay, this should be a sticky.

Originally Posted by klaybus
I've installed those exact bars & while they were an improvement over the original Roadking bars, the wrist angle was killing my right wrist. I just ordered the "Softail Heritage handlebars from Zanottis tonite & hope that these feel as good as the Softail I sat on at the dealer today...They should as they are the very same bar!
The bars I ordered tonite are HD part # 56569-09. These bars ARE NOT notched for the TBW so that will require some altercation & there is no hole at the bottom of the bars so I will have to drill a hole & file so I can run the TBW out of the bars but they feel GREAT & hopefully will resolve the wrist angle for ME. My final & last alternative will be to bite the bullet & spend about $600 on the Wild One Chubbys & have to extend the TBW, clutch cable, control wiring & brake lines. Hoping the Softail heritage bars fill the bill!
I went with the 56569-09 bars because of your thread comparing the "Heritage Style" to the '09 Heritage bars. Thanks a million Klaybus, I believe these bars are as good as it gets using stock cables and wiring. The brake and clutch cable are just long enough with a little massaging.
I suspect the Heritage "Style" bars may be a better choice for shorter riders as the grip angle causes them to be layed back, which reduces height and reach. Harley should offer the 56569-09 with TBW and call them "Heritage Style Tall Bars", I think they'd be a hit.

Last edited by 68 Shovelking; 04-29-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Tedjay
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you Dr Jay!! Your install walk thru was invaluable to me. I installed the heritage style bars on my 2012 Road King last weekend after reading your post. Your attention to detail and the pictures let me knew what to expect every step of the way. The new bars are awesome.

My headlight trim ring I can't get it tight all the way around the nacelle. When I give it a left right tug, it pivots left-right on the top spring and bottom screw. Any thoughts on how to fix it? Should the trim ring snap in behind the headlamp bucket? Mine just sits there, it didn't snap in.

Thanks again for the great write-up on the install!

Old 05-05-2012, 07:19 PM
DMC1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Used your write up to install my Wild-1 Chubby Dresser bars on my Road King today. Excellent in every way. Thanks for sharing.
Dmc

Old 05-11-2012, 09:13 PM
The Cheesehead
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Dr jay, great instructions!!! I used them and got my new bars on in 2 hours after spending nearly an hour getting the old left grip (glued on) off the stock bar. Your description was great and I used your description, step by step to do this project!

Thanks again!

Old 05-11-2012, 09:34 PM
dr_jay
Intermediate

Glad you found it useful, guys! Great weather for riding here in MD. Hope it's nice where you are.

Quick Reply: Pictorial: installing Heritage-style handlebars on a 2011 Road King