Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pictorial: installing Heritage-style handlebars on a 2011 Road King

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 04:16 PM
dr_jay
Intermediate
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm glad it's coming in handy! I'd definitely do another picture-posting if I had a major project to do. But I'm still getting a huge amount of enjoyment out of the stock bike, so I'm in no hurry to make other changes. Other than a docking kit, sissy bar, and grab handles for my wife. (on the bike, I mean )

I'm still quite happy with the new bars, BTW. It totally fixed the straight-armed-stretch I had with the stock bars.

Originally Posted by pacemakertom
Thanks for the instructions.
getting ready to do this to my 04 RK.
Will the 08 heritage bars fit on my 04?
Thanks
Tom
Sorry: I really have no idea about 04 vs. 11. (Although a posting a few up said it worked with an 07.) I'd guess that the throttle by wire is new, but even though the Heritage-style bars are notched on the RHS for the throttle position sensor, I don't know why this would cause problems. Is the 04 all external wiring and cables? The only features of the bars I used which distinguish them from just a bent tube are:

1) the notches on the end of the RHS bar, which you can see in the pictures

2) the oval-shaped hole in the middle for the throttle wires to exit (ditto)

3) there is a heavy crease on the underside of the bar right where each switch housing clamps around the bar. The wire bundle from the switch housings (on each side) sort of fits into this groove, and then follows the underside of the bars.

4) there are 2 holes on each side of the bars underneath, which the cable clamps push into to hold the wire bundle. This is shown (sort of) in the pics.

5) the LHS bar is roughened, and the bar is cross-hatched (knurled) where the bar clamps to the top of the fork.

So I'd look carefully at your bars, and see how these things match up. If your bars are built this way, I'm guessing they'll fit. But it's just a guess.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:12 AM
Wildbear1964
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a very informative thread. I have just been given a set of Heritage bars to put on , I wanted to put on 14inch apes, but don't have the funds for the extensions cables etc atm so will be trying out the heritage bars for a while first. I have had a few Heritage's before and found the bars reasonable.

However for some reason the pics you posted wont come up for me, but they come up as links at the bottom of the post. When I click on them, it says I don't have permission to view. However other peoples pics on their posts are coming up. Why is this and how can I correct it?

Old 03-18-2012, 09:16 AM
dohadex
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Part #6

The 1st picture in parts #6 where he shows the brake lever spacer was the only part I missed. I paid the price and broke the little switch nub off.

I eventually had to replace the switch. Please heed this procedure!!

Old 03-18-2012, 11:07 AM
Motown Highwayman
Advanced

Outstanding thread - great job on the pics. Have seen so many comments about what a PITA this could be. Seen 1 & 1.5 hr numbers. Will figure @ least double for me....

Did not see any comparisons between stock RK & the Heritage for rise & pullback. Seen that grip spread the same, although base is narrower.

jc

Old 03-22-2012, 11:31 PM
Wildbear1964
5th Gear

OK, after further investigations I have seen I need to make five posts before I can view pics.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:32 PM
Wildbear1964
5th Gear

therefore apologies for doing so

Old 03-22-2012, 11:32 PM
Wildbear1964
5th Gear

my apologies for posting this

Old 03-22-2012, 11:33 PM
Wildbear1964
5th Gear

but I need to get my five up to view the pics on this thread

Old 03-22-2012, 11:35 PM
Wildbear1964
5th Gear

OK that's 5 and I still cant view :S

Old 04-26-2012, 04:25 AM
iceman5218
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As many other people had noted, great thread and I hope this is a sticky somewhere. My question for you concerns the TBW. I know you put tape on tope of the sensor and the bars are notched. When you put everything back together do you just make sure the notches got back in the same grooves or is the sensor a little more complicated than that.

Again, great thread and I will be doing this as soon as the funds for the bars become available.

Quick Reply: Pictorial: installing Heritage-style handlebars on a 2011 Road King