Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pictorial: installing Heritage-style handlebars on a 2011 Road King

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 01:54 PM
ontwowheels77
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent tutorial. Just finished installing the Reduced Reach Handlebar, 56166-08. Job went smooth and quick. The Reduced Reach has similiar specs as the Heritage Style but with it you can run the electrics internal. Thanks

Old 01-02-2013, 02:24 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just finished this swap. Need some snow and ice to go away to try them out but so far so good. Great thread nice to have handy during the work. I do have two points I would change, and this is only an opinion so please don't anyone get their undies in a bundle. Take the entire "nacelle" off. Even with my small hands I was not able to reach in and get hold of the front screw for the cover on the bar mounting bolts. It also made getting the TBW wires out and re-run a snap. Also remove the clutch lever and cable from the mount. It is a real PITA to try to remount them as a unit. At least it was for me. Oh yeah this is on an 08 FLHRC.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:27 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by JerryS63
Instead of the coat hangar to fish the wires I used a double strand of dental floss. Easy to slide into the bars. Tie it to wires and use it to help pull the wires through.
used some coated 18 ga auto wire. Piece of cake

Old 03-11-2013, 10:04 PM
Koi1975
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing wires(pins) from control connector

First of all,awesome thread, helped me a lot...I'm changing my bars for PY 10"...I'm going to run my controller wires internally...

How do I remove the wires(pins) from the connectors...I read somewhere to insert straightened paper clip into small hole?????Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Old 03-16-2013, 05:54 AM
hapbob
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default So Glad

So glad to find this thread...bought the RK last week first ride home I said to myself these bars are to low? And I've never changed a bar on any of the 20 cycles I've ever had in past.
But I have the bars from older Heritage without the slot for Throttle assembly or hole for wires?

Anybody have advice on how best to acomplish that and get them right size and location ?

Hap

Old 03-16-2013, 09:18 AM
U-234
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Great How To. Good job.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:22 AM
Dakotazeb
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread. It has inspired me to try this myself. I have a new '13 RK so is there anything different with the 13's? I believe in reading the posts on this thread that using the Heritage Style bars to replace the stock ones you will not have to change any wires or cables. Is this true???

Old 03-16-2013, 09:46 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Dakotazeb
Great thread. It has inspired me to try this myself. I have a new '13 RK so is there anything different with the 13's? I believe in reading the posts on this thread that using the Heritage Style bars to replace the stock ones you will not have to change any wires or cables. Is this true???
True. Very easy bar swap. No cable changes.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:55 AM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member

Nice work, thanks for the pics and write up of the job.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:06 PM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Koi1975
First of all,awesome thread, helped me a lot...I'm changing my bars for PY 10"...I'm going to run my controller wires internally...

How do I remove the wires(pins) from the connectors...I read somewhere to insert straightened paper clip into small hole?????Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
My memory is sketchy, but I seem to remember this- the plug is two pieces- a back half and a front half. Take it apart. Push a wire deeper into the plug from the back and it will push right out. Rotate it 90 or 180 degrees, then pull it out. The pins have a metal tab that catches on a plastic tab in the plug, when you rotate it there's nothing to catch the metal pin tab to prevent you from pulling it out. If you can't figure it out some of the greenhorns at the dealerships use a Harley pin removal tool, but a greybeard showed me the free way.

Quick Reply: Pictorial: installing Heritage-style handlebars on a 2011 Road King