Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight disabaling

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011 | 09:30 AM
andyp
|
Tourer
Default Headlight disabaling

On my 04 flhtc I would like to be able to shut off headlight at times.Any ideas on what to do?

Old 09-11-2011 | 09:41 AM
18BKLR
Road Master

Why? Much safer with headlight on all the time for driving. Bad enough people still can't see us. If your that adamant about doing it look at the wiring diagram in the service manual and trace it out. You will have to cut and splice a few things. I'm not going to tell you how because I totally disagree.

Old 09-11-2011 | 09:42 AM
ImNoPrince
Road Captain

easiest way is to pull one of the wires for either Low or High how many people really use both anyhow. I run High during the day and Low at night just to even out usage on both but If I was going to want to go Dark I think I would pull the Low and run High all the time.

Other then that a relay and separate switch could be spliced into either as well to shut it off.

Old 09-11-2011 | 09:57 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

like they said, add a switch- just study the wiring diagram

if this is about being able to turn off the lights when starting ( so all the power is available to start) crane cams website has a schematic for this.

If you wanna run with no headlight- reconsider....

Mike

Old 09-11-2011 | 10:16 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member

Ball peen hammer, quick, inexpensive and so simple a caveman could do it.

Old 09-11-2011 | 10:46 AM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior

there are fuse extenders that add fuse circuts to where there was just one. wire a switch across the headlight fuse using a fuse extender. I personally would not want to ride with out the head light on. I'm one of those guys that run high beam during the day and normal beams at night.

Old 09-11-2011 | 12:06 PM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp

Better check your laws. I know here in PA, headlights are required at all times.

Old 09-11-2011 | 01:26 PM
SinCityJets
Intermediate

It would be easier just to stop stalking your ex-girlfriend

Old 09-11-2011 | 01:33 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member

I might do this mod myself. Not because I want to ride with the light off but because sometimes when working on the bike I want the ignition on and not run the battery down.

Also, when I turn into my driveway late at night the headlight shines right toward my bedroom window and, even though there are curtains, it lights up the room and wakes my wife. I'd like to be able to avoid that when I work late.

Why, when someone asks a simple question, do so many assume there is a sinister motive behind it?

Old 09-11-2011 | 02:57 PM
andyp
|
Tourer

The main reason I want to do it is I like to run my spots without the drain of headlight during the day. I am also running an amp with my stereo. And I know my charging system puts out enough .

Quick Reply: Headlight disabaling