Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wheel bearing fails

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 08:55 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,889 Likes on 3,521 Posts

My question is. Has anybody used an aftermarket bearing with success or is HD the only product to put in? Quite a difference in price as i can tell...

Old 09-11-2011, 09:06 AM
SIU 96
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking at those thumbnail pics it appears that the single row bearings that are being discussed are tapered, wouldn't that make them the same style of bearing in most vehicles on the road today. If memory serves me didn't all vehicles start out with ball bearings? Granted I can service my jeep bearings, and sometimes that is a lot because they get submerged in muddy bogs. Moco says its a no no to power wash them wheels. Well really just the bearings but how you gona do the wheels and not get the bearings.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:41 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,761 Likes on 3,984 Posts

Originally Posted by SIU 96
Looking at those thumbnail pics it appears that the single row bearings that are being discussed are tapered, wouldn't that make them the same style of bearing in most vehicles on the road today. If memory serves me didn't all vehicles start out with ball bearings? Granted I can service my jeep bearings, and sometimes that is a lot because they get submerged in muddy bogs. Moco says its a no no to power wash them wheels. Well really just the bearings but how you gona do the wheels and not get the bearings.
They are ball lip seal bearings. The attachments are something I drew to help illustrate the differences between them and tapered and the spacer setup in Meg's wheel problem. If you look carefully, they are labeled at the bottom of the screen. I am still doing some research on this single row. Have herd Dyna crew say this for the newer Dynas. If it is single row, they will be probably marked for a correct direction to go in from. I am surprise with this type of side trust Harley would save a few dollars this way.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:50 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,702 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronp42
I don't know about your bike, but when I replaced the rear tire on my 2010 RK, I checked the bearings. They are double row sealed ball bearings. And with 17K miles on the bike, they still felt like new.
I knew nothing about trikes until 15 minutes ago, but I now know that Harley bearing 83314-09 is for trike applications and may well be a double row bearing. ( Probably should be given the fact that your trike doesn't lean in turns.)

Guess which bearing is in your front wheel however? Single row bearing Part # 9276.

It's hard for some to accept that Harley would do that to it's customers...but they did.

Sorry.

Last edited by Stiggy; 09-11-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:14 AM
JollyRogers
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting. When I was at deals gap, I talked to a local indy over some coffee before we rode the Dragon. He brought up the bearing problems with the newer Harleys. Says he has replaced a TON of them. He gave me a part number to use to get them and highly recommended replacing them at my first tire change. I visually check mine before riding and do a little roll check to see if I hear anything off.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:16 AM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Being that my bike is ABS, I HAVE to use the harley bearing.

AS I stated earlier, I don't DIRECTLY spray me bearings with the power washer.

The sheer amount of bug, butterfly and grasshopper guts we get here make power washing the nose of the bike off the only way to clean it and maintain your sanity.

~Joe

Last edited by traveler; 09-11-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:49 AM
pmedic433
Tourer

Had the right side front bearing do the same( seal worked out on the spacer) Never pressure washed! I bought this one when it had 4 miles on it brand new. It was a single row ball bearing. I have ABS and the bearings are different. Left side is the ABS and is thicker.
2009 Ultra Classic.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:22 PM
jndr756
Cruiser

mine went out today, front right wheel bearing. 2010 flhx with 12500 miles and i have never pressure washed it and my warranty went out a month ago. definitely seems to be a problem with this part. From what ive read on this post i have to get hd bearings if i have abs?

Old 09-11-2011, 12:34 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,147 Likes on 1,802 Posts

It's a good idea to replace things at various service intervals irregardless of whether they have failed yet or not or whether the mileage in the manual calls for it yet. Such things like bearings, changing the fork fluid, fuel filters, fuel filter shells, etc. Not only can it prevent a failure at inopportune times, but it allows you to check other things on your bike that gets overlooked as well.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:37 PM
texanharley2005
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would you have to get the bearings from HD.. They do not make them... You should be able to take them to any good size bearing house and get bearings there...Unless hd does make them LOL But i would think not...

Quick Reply: wheel bearing fails