Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1 7/16" torque adaptor for rear wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006 | 11:42 PM
jfanton
Road Captain
Default RE: 1 7/16" torque adaptor for rear wheel

ORIGINAL: Shovelhead Bob

Uh, hey there ... First off it is a 36 mm, secondly, you can get a wrench from Pit Posse.... HERE.....

Actually, you will need 2 to do it correctly....
so how is one supposed to torque the rear axle to the proper spec using this wrench(s)?

Old 11-21-2006 | 11:53 PM
jmxp
Tourer

There's a 3/8" cutout just below the 36mm opening. Once the nut is snugged up, you put a torque wrench in the 3/8" cutout and torque away. I ordered one of these a couple of days ago.

J

Old 11-21-2006 | 11:55 PM
dawg
|
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: jfanton

ORIGINAL: Shovelhead Bob

Uh, hey there ... First off it is a 36 mm, secondly, you can get a wrench from Pit Posse.... HERE.....

Actually, you will need 2 to do it correctly....
so how is one supposed to torque the rear axle to the proper spec using this wrench(s)?
This is how Bob explained it to me in a PM......

One of course to Torque the nut on the Rt side, the other is to retain and stabilize the Left one....

As you are torquing the nut, the axle cams will tighten the belt if the main shaft is not held in place firmly....

Old 11-22-2006 | 12:01 AM
jfanton
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: jmxp

There's a 3/8" cutout just below the 36mm opening. Once the nut is snugged up, you put a torque wrench in the 3/8" cutout and torque away. I ordered one of these a couple of days ago.

J

hmm, i see...

Old 07-20-2007 | 09:18 AM
popituya
Stage IV

07 Axle Nut Torque Adapter

I have found a tool made by Kent Moore exclusively for Harley dealers made to torque the rear axle nut of my Ultra, but it isn’t available to the public. After contacting several dealers I was told the tool wasn’t for sale claiming it was for their shop use. Searching long and hard, I’ve turned one up that looked like a China wanna-bee. The tool seemed light-duty and flimsy and only 6 point making it difficult to index. Also, the ½ inch drive location would appear awkward and difficult to use. The Harley manual is specific about keeping the torque wrench perpendicular to the centerline of the adapter for correct torque (see manual). Having said that, I’ve built my own tool made from ¼ inch zinc-plated mild steel, which is 12 point allowing easy indexing and long enough for angular alignment
clearing the stock exhaust. I’ve made and sold several of these high quality heavy-duty tools to friends and have since fabricated several others for sale to shops and individuals alike.

My company has a full-blown CNC shop that currently produces aircraft parts among other things. If interested in one of these units, please contact me using the subject line description in an email to order. We will set up payment through a Pay-Pal account in the next week or so with a price of $52.50 plus S&H and can provide details via return email.

[IMG]local://upfiles/37850/023978C9FAA24203B7589EEC69A33966.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-20-2007 | 12:11 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member

My company has a full-blown CNC shop that currently produces aircraft parts among other things. If interested in one of these units, please contact me using the subject line description in an email to order. We will set up payment through a Pay-Pal account in the next week or so with a price of $52.50 plus S&H and can provide details via return email.
Hhhmmm.........new member, 5 posts and all are trying to sell us tools. Do I smell Spam?

Old 07-20-2007 | 12:15 PM
harleyplay
Intermediate

I use a crows foot for mine. Works just fine.

Old 07-20-2007 | 12:26 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

I use a 36mm socket and a torque wrenchon the nut side, and the wrench that came in the tool kit to hold the other side. All you have to do istake the bolts out of the rightmuffler support bracket and the muffler will move down far enough to get the socket on.

Bill

Old 07-20-2007 | 01:34 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member

I've got one of the Pit Posse's mentioned above. Nice wrench, about $20 plus shipping. Only used it to tighten axle without using a torque wrench. On baggerI will either have to remove the right muffler or put the bike on a lift to use the tq hole.
Probably would be better if the 3/8s hole was closer to the end of the wrench.

Old 07-20-2007 | 05:53 PM
hdramon07
Cruiser

I had my dealer order me one from Kent Moore (& was happy to do so). Part # HD-47925 "Axle Nut Torque Adaptor". Cost me $30 +tax. It is the one the techs use & has the socket hole for the torque wrench at the very end.

You can also order direct from Kent Moore, but have to pay shipping. Their phone # is listed in the front of the service manual, & all the special tools are in the Appendix A in the back of the book.

Hope this helps

Quick Reply: 1 7/16" torque adaptor for rear wheel