Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starter switch for soleniond housing

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 06:17 PM
scot210
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default starter switch for soleniond housing

Wondering if any of you have put on a starter switch on your solenoid. Not sure how to post a picture of it. It bolts onto the end of the solenoid, do they work? I went for a good long ride yesterday and it was a hot day up here. Shut the bike off (2000 Road Glide) and went for a coffee. Came back out and just a soft click, (starter relay)? Anyhow, pushed the bike around in a higher gear hoping to move the clutch basket around and see if I could get the pinion to move, thought maybe the pinion gear was binding on the basket, Nothing, took the derby cover off and move the clutch basket around, nothing. After playing around for about 40 minutes, finally it would start. Carried on riding, went out for supper with my wife, parked the bike on a hill, just in case. It fired right up. We were at a border crossing, we live in Canada but were riding in the US for the day. Shut the bike off and now it wouldn't start, pushed it over to the side and started playing around again. Seem like the whole starter area was hotter. A Class A motorhome saw me and asked what was up, battery is new, starter has been rebuilt. He also thought that the solenoid felt hot, he went back the the MH and came out with a bag of ice. Packed it all around the starter and waited for a while. Sure enough, it fired back up.
So should I go with a solenoid repair kit, maybe there is a weak connection which is generating more heat, maybe a new starter relay? I want to know if those starter switches actually work? And how do they work, would that be help while I am trying to sort this out?
Thanks for any help

Old 09-07-2011, 07:04 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

they work great- you seem to understand how the solenoid works, so you can see the logic in the manual plunger.

or, you can rebuild your solenoid, it's easy--- or do both.

you don't say which town you are in, but Kreator in Kelowna may stock them, they stock alot of stuff.

or better yet find one 1/2 price in the states and wrap it in your underwear crossing back.

ice-? I could see that, but just try smacking it with something heavy that won't marr it.--- and check all your battery cable connections, both ends- nice and tight and clean

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 09-07-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:52 PM
cooper57M
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it could would of helped you to start your bike. Back in 03 my 01 superglide sport starter solenoid failed. When i pressed the starter switch the stater just spun and not engaged the clutch basket. If i had the plunger and manually pushed the solenoid in it would of started my bike. Since it was a light bike i pushed started it instead. That would be kind of hard with a bagger though, for me.

I have one on my 08SG. I installed it this year after having it sit in my tool box for two years. I got to it because when i did my cams the exhaust was removed and i had more room to work with.

Be advise that the plunger will engage the stater to operate even though your ignition is off.

Last edited by cooper57M; 09-08-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:03 PM
capt_caveman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got mine on eBay. It works great and I've used it several times.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:10 PM
irydasteelhorse
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i made my own from a couple items around the house and a small black **** from ACE hardware, cost, about $1.98
works fantastic. it will work if you just use the button, but it works better if you push your start button and the solenoid button at the same time, simple, and great as a backup. wouldnt be without it now.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:59 PM
scot210
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK guys thanks for the input, I will definitely pick one up and give it a whirl.
Think I will do both.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:03 PM
buckmc
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great idea,closest thing to a kick starter,you'll ever get.I have manuals on both my Harley's,saved me many time's.They have them on eBay for 12.94,and work great.Comes with screws,and a new gasket.If you ever have to use it just once it's payed for itself.Just make sure bike is in neutral,because it will fire up.