Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb vs Fuel Injection

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006 | 09:45 AM
Mr. Mobey
|
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb vs Fuel Injection

I have a 2000 Road King and considered it pretty strong until I rode my buddys Fuel Injected 2002 Road King Classic.
My bike is stock other than Vance and Hines True Duals, Hooker Tunable Slip On Exhaust, K&N air filter, and 48 jet with fuel mixture adjusted to about 2 1/4 turns.
Buddys bike still has stock pipes with Vance and Hines Slip On exhaust and Fuel Injection.
It feels alot stronger and both bike have about the same mileage.(7500/10800)
Is this normal for a fuel injected bike to have such a noticable difference.
I haven't had his bike on the interstate but just around the neighborhood but it seems to pull harder in first thru third gears.
Any imput appreciated.

Old 11-19-2006 | 10:10 AM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Carb vs Fuel Injection

EFI allows for a more precise state of tune through the entire powerband.

Old 11-19-2006 | 10:13 AM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As an auto mechanic for 30 years , the short version to the question is yes there is a noticeable difference.
Fuel injection can adapt to changing conditions faster than a carb and deliver the fuel quicker and more precise.
I ran into the same thing after I swapped bikes with my friend that has a 2006 Street Glide with injection.
His bike was very much more responsive and surprised me going into and coming out of the first turn we made.
In all fairness , at the time my bike was stock and he was trying to be nice in telling me what a "slug" I bought afterwards.
My last bike was a Buell XB12S lightening and the throttle response was actually "too good" for me.
I bought my EG Standard knowing that the throttle response would be "softer" than a fuelly and that's what I was looking for , for
comfortable cruising and to make the bike more comfortable for my wife on the back.
I did mostly the same mods to my bike as yours , and it runs well , but not like the injected could.
Mick

Old 11-19-2006 | 12:47 PM
Mr. Mobey
|
Advanced

Thanks

Old 11-19-2006 | 02:14 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Then there are tuners like me.It is much less expensive to play around with changing things,like intakes exhaust,cubic inches with a carb.Of course I am from the old school and was weaned on tuning carbs,also have all the tools to verify any changes.Don't get me wrong for most people their should be no other choice.A carb not dailed in, is very bad.The right carb dailed in,is incredible.

Old 11-19-2006 | 07:28 PM
kgjl
Tourer

Cam it!

Old 11-19-2006 | 08:44 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even the worst fuel injection system is better than the best carb!

Old 11-19-2006 | 10:40 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ram

Even the worst fuel injection system is better than the best carb!

No way!!!! I had a 01 fuelly and it sucked. If it was below 40* it ran like crap. My o4 carbureted runs just as good if not better then my 01 fuel injected ever did in the cold.
I will take my S&S carb over a fuel injected HD anyday.

Old 11-20-2006 | 12:08 AM
FLHPI Short
Intermediate

Once warmed up, the carb and FI systems will be really similar--assuming both are dialed in properly. FI works better with cold engine--maybe that's why it felt so good around the neighborhood?
FLHPI Short

Old 11-20-2006 | 01:23 AM
JBA111
Road Captain

I've got a carb and always had carb bikes I like Reserve and for my rideing a carb is JUST fine. And on a Harley we are talking ONE CARB!! And it's a preaty simble carb that works quite well. We aint talking 2 carbs or 4 carbs in sync all togerher, it's just ONE CARB.
If your one who likes to crack the whip and stomp the gears preaty often then the FI will getR done faster so that's the one you want..

Quick Reply: Carb vs Fuel Injection