Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Garage Door Opener / Liftmaster

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 01:42 AM
03dragonRK
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bwana1
My advice is to take the HD garage opener back and demand your money back. It is CRAP!. My 1st one did not work at all, not even a red lite on the unit plugged into 110v. 2nd one raised and lowered the door twice before quitting. 3rd worked for 6 months. as a side note, "fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice shame on me ...three times...but, I only paid once.

I think the unit installed on the bike just can't handle vibration...imagine that.

Bwana
I also went away from the HD unit due to failures, but for me it was the receivers that crapped out. I now run the Biketronics Cribclicker. Three years and no issues. Biketronics also has a lifetime warranty on it!

Old 09-07-2013, 03:20 AM
Scaredofrain
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a Chamberlain and soldered two wires to the contact points on the PCB. To these wires I connected a HD non latching push button and installed that in the opposite side of the speedo at the measurements trip reset button.
It loos like it belongs there.

Attached Thumbnails HD Garage Door Opener / Liftmaster-img_0585.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
NiteOwl (05-21-2021)
Old 02-19-2014, 07:26 PM
Raptor53
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chamberlain MyQ smart openers

After a dozen or more emails to Harley support and Chamberlain support everyone had things to try but none worked. The consensus is the new openers (Genie too) hat have the smart control wall units the automatically close the doors, turn the lights on/off, display status messages, hook to the wireless internet for remote control, etc. wouldn't work because even though there's only two wires there are serial messages being sent between the opener and the wall switch. Every time I triggered the Harley opener it reset the clock on the wall unit and the door didn't open.

I got around the problem by buying another Chamberlain 3 button remote ($35) and soldered the two wires from the Harley receiver unit to the chamberlain remote opener button switch on the little circuit board in the remote.

When I activate the Harley unit by flashing my bright lights it it activates the chamberlain remote and opens/closes the door. I just wire tied the remote up by the Harley receiver out of the way.

All the smart feature, auto close, clock, temperature, motion detector, etc work fine.

More importantly so does my Harley opener.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:41 PM
sgrand71
6th Gear

"I got around the problem by buying another Chamberlain 3 button remote ($35) and soldered the two wires from the Harley receiver unit to the chamberlain remote opener button switch on the little circuit board in the remote."

I did the same. It's a simple soloution. I bought a 12 v version and removed the battery and pluged into the extra power wire near the head light the other to a common ground. works flawlesly.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:57 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,271 Likes on 1,848 Posts

A few years ago I replaced my overhead garage door openers and replaced them with Chamberlain Liftmaster "flush" wall mount openers.

My car has the "homelink"mirro mounted system for opening garage doors and it works fine for both garage doors.
My wife's car (a lease) for some reason will NOT work either door.

When I got my'13 CVO Ultra, it came with the bike unit already mounted and the garage unit came in a box.
I got my bike later in the season so I didn't waste a lot of valuable riding time messing with the remote stuff.

Last spring I got serious about the darn thing and after many hours and a couple of days trying different things that didn't work.
In desperation I called the help number that came with the installation instructions for my garage openers.
They gave me a local number for a service center and the lady managed to find the schematic for my opener and told me to change a couple of wires on the wiring "pole" and my opener now works like a charm.
I haven't tried to program my wife's "homelink" yet but I'm hopeful that it will work.

My suggestion would be to find your local Chamberlain service center.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:22 PM
spepin
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If your Chamberlain / Liftmaster opener has the Security+2.0 system, then check this out:

There is a modification to the receiver that makes it fully compatible. There is also an inline module that is completely plug-n-play.

www.creativeaccesssolutions.com

Also works for Craftsman AssureLink.

Last edited by spepin; 12-02-2014 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Updated URL
Old 08-26-2014, 11:14 PM
rhukill
Stage I

Originally Posted by FunkyFungus
After much research, I came up with this plan, and it works like a charm. First, cannibalize an extra remote and short the switch with a screwdriver and verify operation. A little solder, and the pics tell the story:
You're a life saver, even a year later. Glad I found your post here. I just soldered mine up and it works flawlessly. Thanks!

Old 09-13-2014, 09:42 PM
14SG
Stage II
Default Easy Fix

Only 1 of the 2 buttons opens and closes the door, just solder the leads to that button.

For anyone that has one of these and does not want to sacrifice an opener here is the best fix I found.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:41 PM
2WELN
Intermediate
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by FunkyFungus
After much research, I came up with this plan, and it works like a charm. First, cannibalize an extra remote and short the switch with a screwdriver and verify operation. A little solder, and the pics tell the story:

THANK YOU FunkyFungus. You th MAN. Your solution worked perfect for me. I have had my 2014 Limited CVO for several months. I did not have a GDO for my shop so was not able to utilize the Harley remote opener that came with my bike. So I invested in a Chamberlain GDO and did the install myself. My shop was not wired for a opener which meant that I had to install a receptacle for the unit. Also, I had to relocate an overhead light that was exactly where the GDO had to go. Bottom line was much to my dismay after I had all the work completed; my HD unit would not open the door. After spending several days trying everything I could think to make it work I was resigned to mounting one of the openers that came with the GDO on my bike as some have done. Then I found your post and now my unit works perfectly.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:46 PM
spepin
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up Modifications & interfaces now available online

Due to the popularity of the modification that I developed on eBay, I have also developed a plug-n-play inline module that simply connects in between your receiver and garage door opener (via the existing control cable). Both items are available through the eBay link in my previous post, as well as online at www.creativeaccesssolutions.com . A universal module will soon be available as well which will directly interface any legacy device with the new Security+ 2.0 garage door openers.

Quick Reply: HD Garage Door Opener / Liftmaster