Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have I Created A Monster?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011 | 09:15 AM
dnitram
|
Road Master
Question Have I Created A Monster?

My wife reluctantly started riding with me about a year ago when I had a ’06 Fat Boy. I replaced it with a 2011 RKC and she was still reluctant until recently. Before I go on, let me say that it takes a glass or two of wine for her to feel comfortable riding on the back, as many years ago there were two friends of her brother that were hit on a mini bike… One died instantly and the other, even after many brain surgeries, isn’t quite right to date. So I understand the reluctance and the glass of wine.

We all like to ride solo and many of us like to ride with a passenger, all of which is usually by our own choosing. Lately, when I tell her I’m going for a ride, she’ll ask if I’d like some company. Though there are times I’d rather ride alone, I just say sure and she puts her jeans and boots on, has a glass of wine and she’s ready to ride! I don’t want to hurt her feelings and this attitude for liking to ride is a new thing with her. It’s a good thing and it’s kind of a bad thing and I don’t know if I’ve created a monster or what! She has NO interest in owning her own bike and I sure wouldn’t want her to have to take a drink if she did, so thank God that’s not an option now. Has anyone had this happen to them? How did you handle it?? Passing fancy or what?

Old 09-06-2011 | 09:24 AM
slarson
Tourer

I think you wife has the right idea a glass of wine sitting on the back of a bike with the man she loves, nothing to worry about just enjoy the ride. Life is good enjoy

Old 09-06-2011 | 09:29 AM
SG Mike
Road Master

My wife just started doing the same thing (sans the drink) and now I can't go ANYWHERE without her. I would get irritated but in retrospect I'm loving the company. Now I have to spend money so that she can look the part .

Take care and ride safe!

Mike

Old 09-06-2011 | 09:30 AM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
From: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians

If she is volunteering to ride with you.... but still needs the wine to boost her courage, could it be that, she really doesn't want to ride? Maybe she prefers to go with you rather than sit at home worrying about you. Fear of the unknown is very powerful.

Old 09-06-2011 | 09:30 AM
valvestem
Road Captain

You haven't created a monster, the person that killed her brother's friends did. As for you, enjoy the company of your wife, and appreciate the idea she wants to be with you.

Old 09-06-2011 | 09:32 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member

Could be she just likes the wine.

Old 09-06-2011 | 09:52 AM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member

I do understand the wanting to ride by yourself thing, but many of my friends wives don't like to ride and it its bothersome to them. Be thankful your wife enjoys, or wants to get involved in things YOU like to do. My wife is my best riding bud, She rides her own and really enjoys being in the wind. many of my friends are envious.

Old 09-06-2011 | 09:54 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member

It's when she starts drinking while on the bike that you have to worry.

Old 09-06-2011 | 10:01 AM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member

My GF did the same thing, except no vino. The latest is she is now on her own bike. Talk about not being able to go anywhere alone!! LOL!!

It reminds me of a dog that runs to the door when you pick up your car keys! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Old 09-06-2011 | 10:26 AM
Cougar1959
Cruiser

I am disappointed, when my wife does not want to ride with me. Some times she is in the mood and sometimes she likes being alone, while I am riding. As she calls it, her vacation.

Quick Reply: Have I Created A Monster?