Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goldwing or Ultra Limited for coast to coast?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 01:53 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,661 Likes on 2,538 Posts

I would be embarassed to be seen on that ugly pile 'o' crap. Same with a Beemer,an even uglier pile 'o' crap. And about as exciting as golf.

My choice? The Harley.
My 2nd choice? The car.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:01 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,661 Likes on 2,538 Posts

Oh,and 1 more thing. I have had 46 bikes in my lifetime. 18 have been Harleys. None of my Harleys, and I owned some real POSs,ever left me stranded. Even my 41 UL that lost it's header pipe on the Jersey Turnpike got me home to Queens;fire belching out of the exhaust port. (was pretty cool!) The worst POS I ever owned was my Goldwing. Left me stranded no less than 4 times with running issues, starter issues, and even my frame started to crack. Useful for a boat anchor, but not much more.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:19 PM
T_om
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by traveler
BMW is like dating an ugly girl.....yuck!

~Joe

... that can cook like a 5 Star Michelin chef, makes a rabbit look like a Puritan preacher and can suck a golf ball through a waterhose.

They are in another league for distance riding.

And I love my Road King Classic. But a Beemer for distance riding it ain't.

Tom

Old 09-26-2011, 02:26 PM
T_om
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Damascus
I find it is mostly newer/less experienced riders on Harley's who make the best haters out there. In the last few months or so, I've met and tried to talk basic Harley mechanics/maintenance with 3 really dolled-up, Harley-Or-Die newbies and they don't have a clue about how anything on 2 wheels works.

These types don't last long riding any brand. They cash out earlier with the first stupid crash because they never learned to ride, or with the first OMG drop of oil in the garage.
Yep. I started riding in 1966 and some of the "If It Ain't Harley It Is ****" posers you see around nowadays are laughable. Pathetic, but laughable.

Tom

Old 09-26-2011, 05:36 PM
h01waterman
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Harley is comfortable enough that my wife has fallen asleep too. The Harley definitely is the start of a lot more conversations with other people. It did have one minor issue during my recent trip in that the rear brake light switch failed. I was able to disconnect it and keep riding. It was amazing that it ran fine from about sea level and 112 degrees to Bear tooth Pass at about 11,000 feet and 40 degrees. It seems like the resale value on a Harley will be better. There has to be a reason for this. When I was younger I rode what I could afford (Japanese bikes) and loved it. Circumstances brought me to Harley and I can not say that I am disappointed with owning a piece of America. I saw a magazine article a few years ago in which a person made a motorcycle with a helicopter (jet turbine) engine. I am sure that the machine was both smooth and FAST, but it would not work for me.

I like the idea of renting and deciding.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:11 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

How about the overall experience of going coast to coast on a Harley ? That's priceless. With all due respect if comfort to the umpteenth degree is the expectation take the car.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:58 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Been coast to coast on baggers 6 times in the early 90s
been back and forth to NYC from Wv on both Beemers and Harleys

On a road King Classic now
going to NYC next summer

What was the question??

Old 10-08-2011, 08:16 PM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jsvt184
It blows my mind that a Goldwing gets so much praise on a Harley forum. It just goes to show that they really are a great bike, just different. Mine was a 1976 GW modified to look like a Harley lowrider. Had a Honda goldwing drivetrain all the way back to the driveshaft and rear wheel. But that's where it ended. The rest was Harley Davidson, fat bob tanks, suspension, seat, sissy bar etc. It looked a lot like the Honda Valkrie. If they still made the Valkrie I would have thought twice about buying my 09 Glide.
I too am shocked at the objectivity(maturity) shown here with all this good advice. Yes even a 2001 Valkyrie Interstate would be my choice over a new wing, A Valk does have character, it's a wing on steroids.
I have a deposit(sold it) on my '99 Valk and demoed Harleys today(they were to quiet!!). I saw they are more 'spirited" than ever a few weeks ago, I am glad to say I am happy that I am moving on, my joints are just getting tired of strattling that engine. Any HD will need a Ultimate seat like I had, my better half is not happy with her position. I am leaning towards the RK classic in the tequila, a few tweaks and it will fit perfect. I'm really stoked because I did not it know it was in orange until today. The sad part is I am selling a ferrari and buying a cadillac, but the prices are backwards. My orange/black Valkyrie has got comments at the HD dealer bike shows, actually some guys took pictures today!
She said the RK classic was "me", out of their lineup also.

If I could keep 2 or she could handle the Valk I would never get rid of it.I never, because I regret getting rid of my 2 CBX's year's past.

Enjoy whichever, I wish I had both !!

2 of my "jap craps", built within walking distance of my house(I've never lived out of the US)

Last edited by bigfish_Oh; 10-08-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:13 PM
firefighter156
Road Master
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by drmichealj
I know this os almost cussing, but, I want my wife to enjoy the ride. I have a RKC and will be keeping it. They cost about the same, Honda has a few more bells and whistles.
Comfort is my concern for the passenger.
I went from a Goldwing to a Ultra. Much different bike but that was in 1990 and I have never gone back if that tells you anything. I would rent a HD for a day or two from the dealer and see if you like it.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:22 PM
cballweg
Advanced

Find another dealer - one that wants your long term business. Really best to rent one for a weekend of serious 2-up riding. My 09 Road King Classic (purchased with no test ride) is killing my back and shoulders. Have changed seat and handlebars multiple times, and still way short of something I want to ride for more than 10 miles. I bought a Honda VTX while I keep trying to work out a solution on the Harley.

I have no experience on the newer Gold Wings, but had 2 GREAT GL1500s. Wrecked one and traded the other in on the Harley.

I am NOT bad mouthing Harleys, rather my own stupidity in getting suckered into making a purchase without a real test ride. Hope you don'e make the same mistake...