Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goldwing or Ultra Limited for coast to coast?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 12:10 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Didn't read many of the replies so forgive me if anything I'm about to say is a repeat.

The Goldwing is a great touring bike, and very, very, comfortable. They come with just about anything you could want on a bike, and what isn't there can be added.

That said, she will be comfortable on both bikes. What you need to ask her is, does she want the comfort and feel of being on a motorcycle (HD), or the comfort and feel of being in a car (Goldwing).

If she chooses the Goldwing, save yourself some money and just take the cage.

Edit: Well, if I'd read all the replies, I'd have seen that you have already made the best choice. Congrats on the new ride.

Last edited by DannyZ71; 09-24-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:19 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you want reliability....go with the goldwing...if you want to learn how to be a bike wrench...go with the harley

Old 09-24-2011, 06:06 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

As I had posted before my opinion is if rider is 6' or over the Ultra is more comfortable.

I must add comments on the reliability of the GW. Many are not aware of the three model years a while back that faulty frame welds. There was a recall and local welders were selected to do the repairs. Many owners were not happy with that. They would have preferred to have a new frame or set back for welding.

Few know that labor costs like HD's result in some very high bills for maintenance and repairs due to the time to remove all the panels that cover everything just like BMW's.

The Ultra has one of the lowest long term maintenance costs and ownership costs of any bike.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:27 AM
davegr1
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well after reading your reply, you made the best choice for you. I have had both, I rode a 08 wing, (comfort/Navi) and now ride an Ultra classic Limited. My wife enjoys the H/D more, says the seat is better suited for the distance. As for the power the wing had it beat hands down, but really, how many times are you gonna rap the bike out. Your out for a cruise.. Enjoy the trip....

Old 09-25-2011, 04:49 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,818 Likes on 3,172 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4

The Ultra has one of the lowest long term maintenance costs and ownership costs of any bike.
I assume that is your opinion and not based on empirical evidence.

I love my Road Glide and wouldn't want any other bike but I assure you that replacing my heads at 67,000 miles was WAY more expensive than my buddy replacing the timing belt on his Goldwing at 95,000 miles. ( Body panels notwithstanding.)

I wouldn't put my bike up against a GoldWing for reliability or maintenance costs. Just common sense IMO.

Last edited by Stiggy; 09-25-2011 at 04:51 AM.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:50 AM
vtwinhd59
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just my opinion. If you want a comfortable fast ride coast to coast save the twenty some thousand dollars on either bike and buy two plain tickets. If you want to ride a motorcycle across the country do it on a Harley. I see youve made a choice. Good luck on your journey. I'm envious as I work to damn much and don't have the time to take such a long trip. Have fun

Old 09-25-2011, 09:16 AM
harleyman1340
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I already had a Harley and was happy with it and riding a motorcycle cross country was on my bucket list I wouldn't buy another bike just to knock it off the list. If I "needed" to get cross country I would fly. If I just "wanted" to drive cross country I would take the car or motorhome. If I just wanted a new bike I would consider all options, including Harley, Honda and BMW.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:37 AM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Of the two bikes, I would go with the Harley without question. I'm not a Goldwing kinda guy. That said, you should select the bike that appeals to you more. I'm sure either could be made comfy for your missus. And with that said, depending on what type she is, and the way she feels about this trip, either bike could be fine with her, or neither will be acceptable. But yeah, the Harley Ultra would be my choice.

alan

Old 09-25-2011, 12:59 PM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For coast to coast my choices would be BMW 1600T,Wing next,HD third.Bar to bar HD all the way.

T K

Old 09-26-2011, 01:43 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Stigy - If one compares all required services done by a dealer for 100,000 miles the GW costs will be higher. Then compare component prices. Many Honda components like the TBS are over HD prices. There is a reason that Honda has service departments. I have owned over 24 Hondas in my riding life. The last one was the Rune which was substantially a stripped GW. It was not a good bike. Along with it I had a VTX 1800 and was not as good as a Softail or Dyna in the long run.

The last thing that I will accept is the myth that GW's are faultless. They have had frame problems, final drive problems, TBS problems among some. Many have gone 100K + with no issues but then so have HD touring bikes.

Generally considering insurance, maintenance and resale, it is tough to do better than a HD touring bike.

Quick Reply: Goldwing or Ultra Limited for coast to coast?