Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goldwing or Ultra Limited for coast to coast?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 02:36 PM
Blutarski
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get a 3 or 4 yr old wing all loaded up ( pegs, gps, etc) with extended warranty for $15-17k. There is no comparison, if your gonna ride 2 up with luggage. (handling , power, comfort, sorry the wing has it)

I just came back to HD (2009 cvo utlra) from a 2006 wing (55,000 miles lots of long trips with my wife) She doesn't want to to take the long rides anymore, so I'm back to where I was in '05.

The bottom line is a 500 mile day on a Wing you won't be tired , and she won't hate you.

Comparing the 2 isn't really fair, the HD is american muscle and wing is comparable to an Acura on 2 wheels.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:01 PM
caymen8
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I owned an 08 Wing for about six months, then traded it in on an 08 RG. I find the RG more comfortable for the rider. For the passenger, the Wing has a little more room but my wife likes the seating position better on the RG (I have a removable King touring pak for it).

Yes, the Wing has more power and has great handling at speed. But the RG goes as fast as I want to go and handles better at parking lot speeds.

I still have the 08 RG and if I were to buy a new bike today, it would probably be the RG Ultra. I like the fixed fairing.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 09-06-2011, 03:15 PM
jsvt184
Tourer

It blows my mind that a Goldwing gets so much praise on a Harley forum. It just goes to show that they really are a great bike, just different. Mine was a 1976 GW modified to look like a Harley lowrider. Had a Honda goldwing drivetrain all the way back to the driveshaft and rear wheel. But that's where it ended. The rest was Harley Davidson, fat bob tanks, suspension, seat, sissy bar etc. It looked a lot like the Honda Valkrie. If they still made the Valkrie I would have thought twice about buying my 09 Glide.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:10 PM
Zoomin Ultra
Cruiser

I've had several GW's, the last being an 08 that I wound up trading for an FLHTCU. The Harley feels and sounds like a bike should, and is just more fun, IMO.

If I were going coast to coast with the bride though, it would be the Wing, no doubt about it. Primarily for the power, it can easily handle the extra weight and still make those two lane road passes less anxiety ridden. The GW will also carry more in its larger compartments. It has reverse, so backing up with her on board is easy as pie.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:22 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Ultra. Better gas mileage and longer tread wear on the rear tire. GW is for average to under average height riders. Seat is not as comfortable.

My 10 Ultra took on several mountain ranges in 6th gear without any down shifting. I'm 230 and 6'3" and had a full load of gear. I have never found that anything that I needed for a long camping tour could not fit on the Ultra.

I did 965+ plus miles in 20.5 hours going through Canada to go to Sturgis this year ( I never just head straight to where I'm going) I arrived in good shape and being 70+ years old my ride has to be comfortable.

I've had many Hondas and they never traveled well for me. Gave up on them because of touring needs.

Reverse? I suppose if I get very old and puny I may need reverse and three wheels but not by a long shot now.

Last edited by lh4x4; 09-06-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:28 PM
wingman05
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had an 05 Goldwing, and now a 2010 Ultra Limited. Both are very capable, but for a taller rider, the Limited is much more comfortable in the leg room department.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:34 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoomin Ultra
I've had several GW's, the last being an 08 that I wound up trading for an FLHTCU. The Harley feels and sounds like a bike should, and is just more fun, IMO.

If I were going coast to coast with the bride though, it would be the Wing, no doubt about it. Primarily for the power, it can easily handle the extra weight and still make those two lane road passes less anxiety ridden. The GW will also carry more in its larger compartments. It has reverse, so backing up with her on board is easy as pie.
dang, I love old pickups almost as much as motorcycles.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:56 PM
Skywarrior
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Oilcan
The 1800 is bullet proof, quiet, and except for the roof is about as exciting as driving a car. It's a fantastic machine and the trip would be comfortable for the wife. However, the rider position gets a lot of complaints, depending on your inseam. Anything much over 32 inches and you'll be cramped. You said the Wing has a few more bells and whistles ... such as? I guess it does over the RK but certainly not over a bagger. And the price you pay for those bells and whistles is pretty hefty. Honda motorcycles has taken the pricing approach that it does with its cars. You can't just pick one option, you have to take packages. So, if you want ABS, you have to purchase a package that's about $2500 or more that includes some other things that you may or may not want. I realize you have the RK, but for comparison purposes, a Gold Wing, dressed up to have all the things that are standard on say my bike (2011 Limited) would list out well over $30k vs. $23k or so for the Limited. You'd wind up with things that the Limited doesn't have but that's because my options are one at a time, where as Honda makes you pay by the package.

A lot will also depend on the type of seat you have on the RK, and what exhaust. The Wing will be cooler for both of you, and quieter .. that's a given. Really a hard comparison since it really is apples and oranges. Two very different skooters.
These are 2012 prices:
http://www.lakehillmotors.com/hondaonroad.htm#touring
Audio/Comfort
$20,299.99

Audio/Comfort
Navi/XM
$22,699.99

Audio/Comfort
Navi/XM/ABS
$23,599.99

Audio/Comfort
Navi/XM/ABS/ Airbag
$24,899.99

Old 09-23-2011, 08:54 PM
drmichealj
Cruiser

Update- purchased a 12 Road Glide Ultra. Awesome ride, we are very happy with the whole package

Old 09-24-2011, 12:02 PM
Damascus
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jsvt184
It blows my mind that a Goldwing gets so much praise on a Harley forum.
I find it reassuring in the fairness of Harley riders, and it makes sense in that most of us are older and owned a bunch of different bikes on the way here.

I find it is mostly newer/less experienced riders on Harley's who make the best haters out there. In the last few months or so, I've met and tried to talk basic Harley mechanics/maintenance with 3 really dolled-up, Harley-Or-Die newbies and they don't have a clue about how anything on 2 wheels works.

These types don't last long riding any brand. They cash out earlier with the first stupid crash because they never learned to ride, or with the first OMG drop of oil in the garage.

Quick Reply: Goldwing or Ultra Limited for coast to coast?