Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goldwing or Ultra Limited for coast to coast?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 09:42 AM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To me, there's no such thing as a perfect bike. Every bike has advantages and disadvantages. If I had the money and the room, I'd have 4 or 5 bikes in the garage. I don't, so I have to pick the one that best fits my needs most of the time.

I've looked very hard at the Goldwing. I think they are cheaper to own in the long haul, for one you don't need to spend 2-3K on cams, pipes and fuel management to make them ride like they should. The Goldwing runs strong out of the box. And except for the air filter, maintenance is easier. Just put gas in them and change the oil. And speaking of gas, they burn regular.

But like others have said, they just aren't made for bigger riders. That's the one big drawback that keeps me from seriously considering one.

I like my 09 Ultra, and I've managed to make it fit me and ride well. But it is probably my last new Harley until they find a way to deal with the heat and upgrade the engine performance and suspension.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:50 AM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

BMW 1600 no doubt about it. love my 2011 Roadglide Ultra just like I loved my 04 EGC. I put on lots of miles altho this year was a low year for the my new RGU as I put exactly 13000 miles on it in the first year of ownership. I also have a new KLR that I put 6000 miles on so I have an excuse for the low first year miles. If I were buying a bike today it would be the beemer hands down. I buy them to ride and that think is nice. expensive but nice. I have ridden GW 1800's and those are nice too. My buddy has one and I laugh when people rib him about it having no soul. He has a great come back, Soul? 300,000 miles of no soul this baby has heart.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:16 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
We haven't established if this is a 'race' to get across country as soon as possible, or a leisurely stroll.
My 2011 was strangling for air until I made things right.

I love Harley's.....but if you want the NEW ones to run right, you have to spend $$$ on them to get the power back to where its supposed to be.

That's the drawback to this engine under the new smog rules.

When you buy a new touring bike....you are buying a nice bike with POTENTIAL. You, the owner will have to complete the work if you want it to be anything more than a slug. If a man is happy with it, as is...he better never ride with someone who has opened theirs up...or the truth will become evident.

Truth hurts, I know. I am NOT happy I had to spend 1K+ to get her right, but "it is what it is" I guess.

~Joe

Last edited by traveler; 09-06-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:21 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by mtclassic
BMW 1600 no doubt about it. love my 2011 Roadglide Ultra just like I loved my 04 EGC. I put on lots of miles altho this year was a low year for the my new RGU as I put exactly 13000 miles on it in the first year of ownership. I also have a new KLR that I put 6000 miles on so I have an excuse for the low first year miles. If I were buying a bike today it would be the beemer hands down. I buy them to ride and that think is nice. expensive but nice. I have ridden GW 1800's and those are nice too. My buddy has one and I laugh when people rib him about it having no soul. He has a great come back, Soul? 300,000 miles of no soul this baby has heart.
Yeah, but you're form Western Montana....

~Joe

Old 09-06-2011, 10:22 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

BMW is like dating an ugly girl.....yuck!

~Joe

Old 09-06-2011, 11:53 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 414 Posts

If I was in the market for a tourer, the only choice would be the new BMW K1600GTL.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:19 PM
Tooth
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Owned a wing for 8 months and sold it last week.....2010 level III, but 8000 miles on it.

I just was not "ready" for a wing......and neither was my wife.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:54 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Goldwing is the new Geezer Glide.

Last summer one of my brothers and I wound up staying in the same motel as a big group of Goldwing riders from several western states. They were on a multi-day tour of the Pac NW.

They were nice enough folks, but I just don't fit in with them.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:58 PM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rather than spending ~$20K - $30K for any of the choices...

Why not rent one of each for a day (each), find out which one is the most comfortable...THEN book your coast to coast trip on that bike? You don't plan to keep the bike (based on what I read), so why spend the $ to own.

You might even luck into a rental, where the service is included in the package (assuming you'll put a fair number of miles on).

Old 09-06-2011, 02:05 PM
Maclugie
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep the wife happy and get the wing. You're lucky she even wants to go.

Quick Reply: Goldwing or Ultra Limited for coast to coast?