Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goldwing or Ultra Limited for coast to coast?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 05:47 AM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a 88 Gl1500 and 97 Gl1800 and I bought my Limited in 2010. I love it! I added some pipes, stage one, headers and cams after a rode it for a bit (1300) the bike now is a completely different. It is way quick. THe GW is a good strong touring ride, but I was have always wanted an HD. HD changed the frame or made adjustments in 2010 or 2009, the biker handles like a dream much eaiser to ride at slow speeds and if your two up you want a bike that is not hard to handle at slow speeds. The ABS on the HD WORK and WORK well, never use the front break (I'm sure you know) at slow speeds you will tip for sure, I wonder how I know? In anycase, I think that the HD limited is one of the best touring bikes out there I will never go back to GW, not becuase they are not a good bike, but they are just not as fun to ride. THE limted is the way to go if you both want the HD experience. JMO

Old 09-06-2011, 06:01 AM
Captain Bligh
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have ridden a friend's Goldwing for a good length of time. No doubt the bike is powerful, fast, smooth, and can carve up curves very well. My wife is very comfortable on the back. However, I am 6' 3" and can't wait to get off of it and back on my Road King. I can't tolerate the position of the pegs for long. OP, if you are above average in height I think you will be happier on the HD. Your passenger will like the Goldwing. Tough choice.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:35 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

For the Harley to compete, it's gonna need some engine work, IMHO.

cams, intake, exhaust and some tuning.

~Joe

Old 09-06-2011, 06:55 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by traveler
For the Harley to compete, it's gonna need some engine work, IMHO.

cams, intake, exhaust and some tuning.

~Joe
We haven't established if this is a 'race' to get across country as soon as possible, or a leisurely stroll.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:23 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I have nothing against the Goldwing except that, IMO, it's more a scooter than a bike. Too much plastic for my taste, sounds like crap, way too smooth, etc ........
If I was ready to spend >$25K, in addition to a RK, I'd buy a small roadster like a Miata, Solstice, Sky or equivalent.
My 0.02cts.

Last edited by frenchbiker; 09-06-2011 at 07:36 AM.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:13 AM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 606 Likes on 441 Posts

I have owned both bikes mentioned. If I was just wanting to log as many miles a day as I could. I'd want the Gold Wing with the Fixed fairing I get less Fatigued behind it. I loved my GL1800 it fit me perfect. I'm 5'7" and felt like it was made for me. I loved the reverse and smooth power. I hated all the plastic and it looks like an over grown scooter. The GW is a better long distant bike but I couldn't have it as an only bike. I like Harley's to much. My Road Glide Ultra is just perfect.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:33 AM
LetItRide
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have owned both an '04 GL1800 and and an ABS '07 GL1800 prior to switching to a
'10 FLHTK in in 2009.

My wife will never go back to the GL1800 for one major reason - which I'm surprised
no one has mentioned. BUFFETING!

The amount of air hitting my wife's head on the GL1800 is incredible.
When I owned them, the first modification I did to them was install "mirror" or "hand" wings. These fit under the GL1800's mirrors and block the turbulence that escapes under them that hits the wife squarely.

The only time my wife complains about buffeting on the FLHTK is when we are behind a semi on a very windy day. Other than that - nary a complaint.

Yeah - switching to the Harley was a bit of a let down power wise, but for me, that wasn't my main reason for riding. As a rider, I feel the FLHTK is more comfortable than the GL1800 especially on long rides - and my wife feels the same.

The only thing I truly miss about the GL1800 is helmet hangars ;-)

Jim

Old 09-06-2011, 08:41 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Several years ago when my wife and I were looking to upgrade from our Yamaha Royal Star we looked at the Goldwing. We also looked at every touring bike out there except the BMW ( no dealers in the state ). My wife said that the Ultra had the best passenger comfort of the group.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:32 AM
highmark1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got one of each(02 1800 and 10 flhtcu) and I wouldn't get rid of either one and I would keep the BMW until they pryied it from my dead hands. If I go to Sturgis I ride the Ultra. If I am going coast to coast I will ride the Wing and if I am going around the world I will be on my BMW. All of them will have to be fine tuned to fit you(ie bar height,seat etc..). I put an ultimate seat and bar risers on the wing and it made good for me at 6'2". A shorter guy could get away without it. War Dept loves the wing but doesn't complain too much about the ultra(heat on legs). The BMW has a corbin seat on it. Ultra needs a little taller bar and different seat. The upgrades to the engine are considerable considering what you initially pay for them. Big bore(103) cams, air cleaner, pipes and tuner, And the suspension totally sucks *** on the ultra. I am doing the suspension next which will consist of ohlins on the back and probably traxxion cartridges on the front. So with all that said I will be at about $30,000.00 on the Ultra and a comparable wing about $26,000.00 and the new 1600 BMW about the same, so the price thing is thrown out the window when you start to compare apples to apples. Stock for stock I think you will be happier comfort and performance wise on an 1800GW. But I have never had a bad motorcycle and when and I was young and poor I would have gone coast to coast on a moped if that is all I had and I would have been happy as a hog in **** doin it. good luck and cheers

Old 09-06-2011, 09:38 AM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Goldwing.

Quick Reply: Goldwing or Ultra Limited for coast to coast?