Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goldwing or Ultra Limited for coast to coast?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Black_Hog
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was a Harley man for 39 years. I went nuts and bought a new, left over 2006 Goldwing. I rode that Goldwing for three years. Every time a Harley dresser was near I was looking at it.

I’ve done Deal’s Gap two times. The first time was on my 1986 Harley FLTC/FLHS. Changed the FLTC into a FLHS. Deal’s Gap kicked my backside. The second time was on the Goldwing. I could have gone through all day without fatigue. I still missed my Harley dresser.

I think the Goldwing is a hotter bike for the driver. Never had a passenger on the Goldwing. That wall in front of you is real big. Doesn’t allow much air to get by. In the winter is was welcome. Summer wasn’t much fun for me.

The Goldwing handled great, it was quick and fast. It was boring. I traded the Goldwing for my 2010 Ultra. I am very, very, very happy with the Ultra and never plan on leaving the Harley family again.

Another vote for you to rent the bikes your thinking of and make your own decision. You and your wife are the only two that can tell you what bike you want and need.

I can tell you, with Harleys I always worry about theft. Never worried about theft with the Goldwing.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Geezer glider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just did a weekend ride with a buddy that owns a goldwing. I had wondered if I made a mistake not buying one when I bought my Ultra this last winter (first Harley), and he had wondered the same thing about his purchase. So we switched off for 50-100 miles. I liked the Honda for lots of reasons and can see how he has 50,000 miles in just 2 years. Power, the honda has lots more power. You can slow down coming into a 30mph zone without down shifting, and when you get thru and need to open up to 60mph, just twist the throttle, no down shifting required unless you really need to get moving now. Suspension, there is no comparison. For 2 up riding, it's smooth. Yes , I'm comparing that to a new Ultra with a blown shock, maybe not fair, but neither is having a new bike with a blown shock. Storage is another issue, the Honda has more of it. This guy just did a service aggrement with the dealer he bought the bike from, first one just ran out. It was $1500 for next 2 years, includes all fluids and required maintence, he just has to bring it in at certain mileage, also includes a new set of tires installed, so he doesn't even have to deal with the dreaded air filter hassle. Just puts in gas and rides. There were things I didn't like that other people already stated. My wife liked the seating, plenty of room compared to our Ultra, but she didn't like the back rest, said it had her leaning too far back, said she liked the more upright seating on our bike. If I had to do it all over again knowing what I now know, it would still be hard to chose. I like my Ultra, if something isn't right for me, I can change it like the handle bars, radio,...
In less then 5 months I've logged 10,000 miles on my Ultra and have no intentions to getting rid of it to buy a Goldwing. If something were to happen, wreck it, have it stolen,...I would really give the Goldwing a chance. Both bikes have their good and bad points which make it a hard to choose.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:19 PM
harleyeglideman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Review the Yamaha Royal Star Venture. Best of both worlds.... HD look, Japanese performance and reliability.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:38 PM
ImDaJake
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spider14043
If you wear shorts with white sneakers when you ride then the Honda is for you.
Hahaha. Well said, Sir!

Old 09-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am bias. But if it were me, I would choose the bike I think would like to keep, just in case I fall in love with it and don't want to sell it after the trip. I test rode an Honda Goldwing prior to buying my Ultra. I felt like I was sitting on top of the Gold wing and down in the Ultra. Good Luck lets us know how the trip goes.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:25 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyeglideman
Review the Yamaha Royal Star Venture. Best of both worlds.... HD look, Japanese performance and reliability.
I looked at those before buying my first Harley.

The venture (to me) felt big, ponderous, ill-handling, VERY top heavy, and underpowered. Did not like it at all. In no way did it have the feel of the Harley, and could not even begin to come close to the performance of the Goldwing. Its also been all but abandoned by Yamaha.

At the time, I really though the Venture was the way I was going to go, until I rode one.

Just my two cents.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:53 PM
rk10
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aint there a Honda forum where you could pose this dilemma of yours, I feel like if you have to ask, buy the Wing! Harleys arent about being the most comfortable bike on the planet, there is much more to it than that. You got some guys on here sounding like they are trying to defend their bikes. If you like the Wing.....and are worried about your wife getting a little bit sore, ..Go for it!

Old 09-05-2011, 11:16 PM
TheMurf
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,961 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Default Coast to Coast

Having had three Harleys including my new 012 ultra and coming off an 06 wing. To be honest with you, the Wing is the most comfortable bike for both the ride and passenger made. That comment will probably excommunicate me from the forum. But it is the truth. I love my new ultra, its a great bike..But as far as comfort is concerned on a long haul. Nothing beats the wing...

Old 09-06-2011, 12:14 AM
Nirvana
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The OP said he'd be keeping his Road King. He's wanting the best solution for a coast-to-coast touring machine, comfort being an important factor. If I were the OP I would strongly consider the Goldwing or even a BMW. He'd still have the RK for cruising fun.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:01 AM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

If you get the wing it's like having a bike with no soul. I've had both and will never go back. Love my Harley and so does my wife.

Quick Reply: Goldwing or Ultra Limited for coast to coast?