Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goldwing or Ultra Limited for coast to coast?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 12:30 PM
Rustell
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had Goldwings in the past..As far as passenger comfort my wife preferred the Wing.Ours had a Corbin saddle.The Goldwing is a larger machine..much more room for a passenger. But my Ultra has a soul....

Old 09-05-2011, 12:42 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

The Wing is much faster, handles really well, is smoother, and has a much more comfortable passenger seat. For me, the riding position leaves a little to be desired, but as was mentioned, would be far better with the addition of highway pegs. It's far less fatiguing to go all day on a Wing than it is on a Harley.

The BMW K1600GTL is a damn impressive machine, and arguably the best sport-touring bike out there. It's insanely fast, handles like no big bike should, has amazing brakes, and with the electronically adjustable suspension can either carve corners like a sport bike, or float over the highway like a Cadillac. The only real negatives I could find were the mid-mounted pegs (which are located better than the Wing's), and some movement in the top case, which was a bother for my wife (not comfortable when the backrest moves over bumps). If my FLHTK was stolen tomorrow, this is the bike I'd replace it with.

I do love my Limited, and now that I've dumped thousands of dollars into it, it's a comfortable, capable all-day bike.

Edited to add - And if "soul" is considered to be a bike that's loud, shakes parts off of it, and has had the long list of things that mine has had go wrong in 42,000 miles, then I can live without "soul". Both the Wing and the BMW K-bikes have got a ton of personality, they're just different than the Harleys. I don't think it's a bad difference.

Last edited by '05Train; 09-05-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:49 PM
caspr2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both rides are great touring machines. That being said the only drawback to the wing would be there dealer network and parts supply.

H-D will normally put people on the road to the front of the line for breakdown problems and do everything possible to get them back on the road.

Honda dealers do not take this way. And most dealers carry a very small parts inventory.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:33 PM
djkolp
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

If riding long distances in comfort is your main concern, get the Goldwing. If you want to have fun while you're doing it, get an Ultra. It's hard to explain but the Goldwing, at least for me, was a very boring ride. Almost like riding a motorcycle with an electric engine. Rent one for a day and you'll know what I mean.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:42 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Take all three bike brands for a ride with your wife. Then buy whichever one she likes the best ! Then go away.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:08 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by drmichealj
I know this os almost cussing, but, I want my wife to enjoy the ride. I have a RKC and will be keeping it. They cost about the same, Honda has a few more bells and whistles.
Comfort is my concern for the passenger.
Rent each bike and spend a full day cruising with you wife. That is the only way to be sure you get the bike thats right for you and the missus. Many dealers will apply the cost of the rental to the purchase price if you buy the bike from them.

Momma and I rented an Ultra for a long weekend and went to bike rally 400 miles from home. That is how you learn if a bike is right for you..

My wife calls the back seat of our RGU her "comfy couch". I just got her a Hog Trough cup holder to make her even happier. She has even fallen asleep while riding!

Last edited by PFWiz; 09-05-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:27 PM
skulltrainharley
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It never ceases to amaze me some peolpe on here are like beyond rude with their answers and you know who you are if not ..... drukanfu try being objective with your answer it's not big being rude!

Old 09-05-2011, 02:33 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by skulltrainharley
It never ceases to amaze me some peolpe on here are like beyond rude with their answers and you know who you are if not ..... drukanfu try being objective with your answer it's not big being rude!
I said what I meant and meant what I said.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:39 PM
sr_smyth
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PFWiz

My wife calls the back seat of our RGU her "comfy couch". I just got her a Hog Trough cup holder to make her even happier. She has even fallen asleep while riding!
Ditto for the Ultra, my wife was terrified of bikes 3 years ago, now she eve reads on the back and occasionally even dozes off back there on a sunny afternoon.
Thats a mark of comfort I'd say

Old 09-05-2011, 02:43 PM
spider14043
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you wear shorts with white sneakers when you ride then the Honda is for you.

Quick Reply: Goldwing or Ultra Limited for coast to coast?