Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security fob battery dies at bad time

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 10:42 AM
Geezer glider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Security fob battery dies at bad time

Well, I've read lots of posts in the past about people having the battery go dead in their key fob, but this really sucked for me. This last Saturday we (my wife and another friend with a bike) decided to make a trip around Lake Michigan starting out taking the ferry from Milwaukee to Muskegon, Mi. We got lucky getting on the boat and tying our bikes down before the rain started. Got across, and my bike wouldn't start, my friend had just pulled off the boat. Well, the crew was telling me I had to get the bike off the boat, they weren't giving me any time to figure out what was wrong. So I push my fully loaded Ultra thru the wet and slick floor of the boat, up a ramp to the landing. From there I just got on the bike and coasted down the ramp till it would go no futher, where I started to try and figure out what was going on. BUT, I was once again told I had to get my bike out of the area. I told this person the bike wouldn't start, and was told again, the bike and I had to be moved out of the area. This is when I got mad, I had already expended a lot of energy pushing the bike and was not about to push it any more. I was roasting with my jacket and helmet on, so took them off and started to go toward the gate to give them to my wife where she was waiting for me. I was then yelled at by another employee of the ferry operation that I couldn't just walk thru the gate, he wouldn't let me even give my wife the jacket and helmet. There was a yelling match and I was about a nano-second from bashing his brains in with my helmet, but I decided to go back to the problem before I ended up in jail. On the walk back to the bike I decided to try a new battery in the key fob which I just happened to have a spare in the travel pack. Bike lit right up. Not having experienced this before, I was not ready with what to do and having people yelling at me while trying to figure it out really sucked. Have to spend the time today learning how to get passed the security without a key fob too. Lesson learned. Other then that we had a great ride around the lake, ate at Leggs Inn (which is good if you like Polish food, which I do) and did 760 miles in 2 days. Also found we have a blown shock on our bike after getting home. I thought the handling was odd and we had been bottoming out badly, at least Michigan has good roads, it wasn't till we got back into Wisconsin we had problems. One bridge expansion joint was such a hard hit, my gps came off its mount, I caught it before the cord let loose. Even with these two issues, it was a great ride. Mackinaw City is too touristy, so wasn't too disappointed with crossing the bridge at night. Sorry for long post, but hope that someone can learn from this, at least carry a spare battery if you have security on your bike!

Old 09-05-2011, 10:45 AM
Bobino
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I change the battery in each key fog every spring time.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:54 AM
Geezer glider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought the bike this last spring.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:58 AM
2011BDSG103
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you said you figured out how to get past the security fob. But for those that don't already know, this is how you do it. First off you need to know the 5 digit code set on your bike. This is from memory, so if I forget a step don't shoot me. But to use the code:

Turn your ignition ON/OFF/ON/OFF/ON
Push in on both turn signal switches (Like you would to turn hazards on).
Your odometer should be flashing 5 dash (-) marks.
Use your right signal to change the number. When you get to the number you want, hit your left signal. It will change position and do the same thing on the next one. Keep doing the same thing till you get all your numbers. Once complete you are ready to start your bike.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:01 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Tough lesson to learn. Sounded like the ferry crew were all azz hats! I make a habit out of changing every battery in every device in and around my house, from smoke detectors to garage door openers on the same date every year. Its on my planned to do list. Keeps me from waking up in the middle of the night to chirping smoke detectors, or from having to control my right arm from throttling some Ferry boat Azz hat!

Old 09-05-2011, 01:15 PM
IBM-HD
Novice

By the way, unless someone has changed the code, it is set by the factory as the last 5 digits of the VIN.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:32 PM
Sean Ferg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IBM-HD
By the way, unless someone has changed the code, it is set by the factory as the last 5 digits of the VIN.
Thats good to know, I wasnt sure what my code was. Thanks

Old 09-05-2011, 02:50 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

In you owners package there is a a little card which you write you security code on an put in you wallet. The card is credit card sized and has the instructions on how to input the code. it also tells you how to recall your code and change it.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:01 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 667 Likes on 531 Posts

+1 on the wallet card had it in my wallet since day 2 , lots of good info in the owners manuel.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:04 PM
golfmajic
Road Captain
Location: Ottawa, Canada, summer, Daytona Beach Florida, winter
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yup, I change both batteries every year and carry a spare battery taped to the inside of one of my bags. I also have the card and the code but changing the battery if required strikes me to be and easy solution (never had to do this yet) if you have the fob with you, otherwise its to the card.

Quick Reply: Security fob battery dies at bad time