Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loose front end............

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011 | 09:55 PM
harleycat225
|
Cruiser
Question Loose front end............

Anyone else notice that after about 5000 miles your bike loosens up in the front end? I am having a problem with what seems to be the front tire catching the cracks and grooves and dam near pulling the handle bars out of my hands. I have had it to the dealer and they checked the neck swing, front and rear wheel bearings and they say everything is normal. I have checked and rechecked tire pressure (36 lbs in the front and 40 lbs in the rear) and played with different rear shock settings. I am at a lose. This bike use to be so tight. I hardley even noticed cracks or rain grooves. Now it seems looser than my 08 ultra was. Anything else I can look for.

Old 09-04-2011 | 10:15 PM
firefighter616
Club Member

tire could be the culprit
cord twisted any number of things

Old 09-04-2011 | 10:35 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master

If it is not the tires adjust tgead bearings which may be in specs as dealers says but runnung them a little snugger may help put about a quarter turn on it and give it a shot.

Old 09-04-2011 | 11:24 PM
ltmdl90
Road Captain

Mine is doing the same thing. I think it is tire wear.

Old 09-04-2011 | 11:44 PM
Keefersan
Advanced

Mine was doing this as well until I replaced the tires. Don't notice the cracks in the road now.

Old 09-04-2011 | 11:57 PM
acamj
Intermediate

I have an 07. Since i got it, it has always felt like something was loose in the front. I had the dealer check everything and found nothing. I have went over everything i could think of myself and found nothing. The last service i did to it I went to grease the head bearings and thought about it for a minute. I have always added grease untill i saw some come out around the bottom bearing but that didnt mean i was getting any on the top. So this time i pumped about a full tube of grease in there. Let me tell you all that loose feeling went away. I think my problem was no grease was getting to the top bearing or not much at all. Yeah i had a bunch come out the bottom but just kept wiping it until i actually could hear it escaping from the top bearing. So make sure you have enough grease in there. If you listen closely you will be able to hear it at the top bearing when it starts to come out.

Old 09-05-2011 | 12:08 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member

Screw the factory specs... Tighten your steering head bearings a little at a time until it feels the way you want it to feel.

Factory specs are a compromise to result in acceptable performance under ALL conditions encountered by ALL riders. For your riding style and conditions the "acceptable" compromise of the factory spec may not be optimum.

All of my bikes are adjusted a little tighter than the factory specifies.

Old 09-05-2011 | 10:46 AM
harleycat225
|
Cruiser

I got to thinking and it seemed to start happening after I greased the head bearings. I found out about 2000 miles after the dealer did the 1000 mile service that they forgot to grease them. I do have grease coming out of the top and the bottom so I know I got enough grease into them.

Old 09-27-2011 | 08:16 AM
ultra_classic
Club Member

Originally Posted by 2black1s
Screw the factory specs... Tighten your steering head bearings a little at a time until it feels the way you want it to feel.

Factory specs are a compromise to result in acceptable performance under ALL conditions encountered by ALL riders. For your riding style and conditions the "acceptable" compromise of the factory spec may not be optimum.

All of my bikes are adjusted a little tighter than the factory specifies.
I had my 05 Ultra in for the big 5.0 hr service over the winter and noticed it more this spring and all summer and it is getting worse, More Loose feeling? I had it to a different dealer for a service in August and asked them to check it, they said my steer-ahead bearings are too tight?? and wanted 150.00 to adjust them, i said no thanks, last night I just replaced the rear shocks with Progressive 412-HD 13" to replace the original air shocks, and they are awesome, Firmer but no crack in the back with too up riding, BUT i cant tell if it helps on the road cracks yet, ... so in summary possible causes are: Steer a-head bearing tight? Too Loose? Too dry? tires worn at 50%? chassis alignment? Motor mount[s] worn? trailing arm bushings worn? Chassis stabilizer link? Keep the ideas coming because it feels even worse on the the road that is grounded up and grooved for resurfacing during construction [all summer ]

Old 09-27-2011 | 08:32 AM
ultra_classic
Club Member
Question

Originally Posted by harleycat225
I got to thinking and it seemed to start happening after I greased the head bearings.

I found out about 2000 miles after the dealer did the 1000 mile service that they forgot to grease them.
So you Greased them at 3000miles and then you noticed the issue? or you greased them BECAUSE of the issue?

" I do have grease coming out of the top and the bottom so I know I got enough grease into them."

And if so i would assume that greasing them would make them tighter? so it is possible that if they are on the tighter end of the spec it could cause this steering shimmy?