Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windsplitter on Ultra Classic?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 08:13 PM
PWFD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Windsplitter on Ultra Classic?

I've done a search on this topic and it seems more people LIKE myself have gone with the 7" (original) Harley Davidson Windsplitter on the StreetGlide not so much on the Ultra Classic or Ultra Limitted. I LOVE it on my SG but am wondering if any of you have tried it on a Ultra? I'm thinking as much as I like this windshield it wouldn't have the wind blocking effect as it does on the SG due to how much higher you sit on the Ultra? I could be entirely wrong so this why I ask for those of you that have tried it or are rolling with one on your Ultra?

Thanks for any feedback you may have on this topic.

T

Old 09-04-2011, 08:38 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the looks of it, but haven't tried it on my Ultra. The math just doesn't work for me as I rock a 10" recurve that I am very happy with.
I pretty much know without trying it I wouldn't like it. Maybe if I wasn't 6'4" it might work better.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:50 PM
Woollymonster
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at Klockwerks and Clearview Shields before you buy. I went with the Clearview 12" Recurve because it let me keep my 3 pouch windshield bags on my EG Classic and you can use Rain-X on it. It also look a little less radical than Klockwerks.

I sit a little tall in the saddle so the 12" works for me but they come in all sizes. The Klockwerks probably has better wind diversion around the rider but the Clearview is a great improvement over stock.

Both are made in the USA.

http://clearviewshields.com/shop/product.php?id=11

http://www.kustombaggers.com/Klock-W...Id=-1790&fpg=1

Old 09-04-2011, 09:36 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I put it on the Ultra. I am very pleased with it. I wear a FF helmet and the glare of both sides of the stock windshield and the helmet screen was bothering me on my ride through Death Valley and the desert SW when I was heading east back home.

The wind is deflected up and over my helmet. Most bugs also except the heavier ones like beetles.

When I went through a rain shower, I had a nice surprise. The wind does blow downward in front of the helmet and blew the rain drops off the face shield as good as wipers would.

Because of my experience my son got one thrown in when he made the deal on his 12 Ultra.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:44 PM
harleridr
Cruiser
Default After Mkt. Shield

Hi
Did you look at Clark's Winshield web site. they are custom built for your height.
They really keep the wind off your face. I just put their half moon on my 11 FLHX works great.
Harle

Old 09-05-2011, 11:39 AM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

I have one on my Ultra and love it!

Old 09-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Airborne06
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PWFD
I've done a search on this topic and it seems more people LIKE myself have gone with the 7" (original) Harley Davidson Windsplitter on the StreetGlide not so much on the Ultra Classic or Ultra Limitted. I LOVE it on my SG but am wondering if any of you have tried it on a Ultra? I'm thinking as much as I like this windshield it wouldn't have the wind blocking effect as it does on the SG due to how much higher you sit on the Ultra? I could be entirely wrong so this why I ask for those of you that have tried it or are rolling with one on your Ultra?

Thanks for any feedback you may have on this topic.

T
I just installed the NEW Harley 10" Windsplitter on my 2011 Limited. Previously, I have tried almost every height, size, and brand of windshield (I have a garage full)...
I am pleasantly surprised at the quality, effectiveness, and looks of the 10" Windsplitter. As a matter of fact, it is the only shield so far that I've considered to be not only a true "keeper", but enhances the look and lines of the bike. The shorter shields to me are like novelty helmets...they look cool, but they likely won't do the job when you really need them. The 10" Windsplitter on the other hand does everything I need a shield to do, doesn't block or impede my vision, and looks badass to boot!

Old 11-13-2011, 06:23 AM
mortbike
Novice
Default 10 " windsplitter

Airborne06 How tall are you? do you look through or over the windscreen. Any buffeting of the helmet at highway speeds? thanks Mort

Old 11-13-2011, 06:56 AM
hougz79
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you see less of them on Ultras because you already have a big ole windshield in front that provides good protection. At least from my experience, I try to find the best blend between SG looks and function, so ended up with 6.5" KW Flare. I know it doesn't block as well as a bigger windshield, but it works for me and doesn't ruin the look of my SG.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:41 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

I put one on my 2010 Ultra Limited. Liked the way it looked, but did not like the turbulence it caused. A strong stream of air was hitting me right in the face of my full face helmet. It's just too short for me and I am 5' 10". I sold it.

Replaced it with a National Cycle Vstream windshield that was about 3 inches taller. The Vstream turned out to be perfect as it moved the wind stream up to the top of the helmet, forcing air right into the vents. Plus the Vstream is a much more robust, thicker, and better engineered windshield than the HD Windsplitter, IMHO.

Quick Reply: Windsplitter on Ultra Classic?