Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear End Noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006 | 06:19 PM
TJRKC
|
Cruiser
Default Rear End Noise

I have a noise coming from the rear end of my 2007 RK Custom. The way I describe it is a alternating, somewhat high-pitched rubbing noise. It seems to come from down low, almost a belt-like sound. It is NOT affected by throttle, speed, braking, or shifting. The service dept. checked the belt, it was within the acceptable range. They loosened it to the outer tolerance, the noise is still there. They also said the noise is being amplified by the cast wheel. They don't have an answer, but confirm that they also hear it. Keep in mind this is loud enough to be heard over a set of VH slip on's.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what have you done to fix it? Are there any mechanics out there or more experienced at-home tinkerers who might have some ideas or fixes?

This on top of the mysterious transmission chatter are really starting to wear on me--I'm well aware of all the threads out there on the tranny, but having spent as much as I did on the bike, being a first time HD owner and having high expectations of this bike--I'm a bit frustrated with the lack of knowledge out there on any fixes. Seems like the service depts didn't get the training that went along with the rollout on these new bikes.

Any helpful hints are much appreciated, please no flames on how I need to put up with yet another glitch--I'd appreciate some positive comments

Old 11-18-2006 | 06:28 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Rear End Noise

You would think it belt tightness,alignment,belt guard or possibly wheel brgs would uncover something.What kinda miles on bike?Pulleys tight?Remember hearing of one owner that had rear pulley hardware backing out.

Old 11-18-2006 | 06:32 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member

hmmmm, I'm sure you checked it over,,, I'd say, got to a diff service shop,
2nd opinion.. if ya can

Old 11-18-2006 | 06:35 PM
brian1
Banned

ORIGINAL: TJRKC
I'm a bit frustrated with the lack of knowledge out there on any fixes. Seems like the service depts didn't get the training that went along with the rollout on these new bikes.

Being a first time owner of an HD, you'll get rather use to the dealers telling you "they all do it" and "that's normal" instead of finding/fixing the problem. They are in it for the money and either don't know or care to fix most problems unless a part falls off in their hand. I would suggest to try another dealer if there is one close to you and you may be surprised what they find for you.

Good luck.

Old 11-18-2006 | 06:38 PM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior

Did you check the rubber piece that the muffler bracket goes through under the saddle bags. My right side one squeaks and makes on heck of a racket at times.

Old 11-18-2006 | 06:40 PM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior

See if you can move the mufflers side to side at all.

Old 11-18-2006 | 06:41 PM
TJRKC
|
Cruiser

About 1600 and change. Belt tightness was good-I think I mentioned they adjusted it to be looser thinking that would help but didn't. Not sure on the pulley's and such....

Old 11-18-2006 | 06:42 PM
TJRKC
|
Cruiser

Yep that's next on my list.

Old 11-18-2006 | 06:44 PM
TJRKC
|
Cruiser

Yep I checked that--If I hold onto it while it's idling, the muffler quiets down, but I don't think that would cause the intermittent rubbing noise I'm hearing.

Old 11-18-2006 | 06:45 PM
TJRKC
|
Cruiser

Nope rock solid.

Quick Reply: Rear End Noise