Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear End Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009 | 01:28 PM
The Whale
Cruiser

Mine turned out to be belt tension and alignment. I had a buddies bike over at the house and noticed his belt was much looser than mine. I adjusted my belt to a similar tension (not having a gauge) and it been quiet ever since. I also cleaned my belt to get the grit out of it with soap, water and a brush.

Old 10-14-2014 | 09:52 PM
FREDStr33tbob
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TJRKC
I have a noise coming from the rear end of my 2007 RK Custom. The way I describe it is a alternating, somewhat high-pitched rubbing noise. It seems to come from down low, almost a belt-like sound. It is NOT affected by throttle, speed, braking, or shifting. The service dept. checked the belt, it was within the acceptable range. They loosened it to the outer tolerance, the noise is still there. They also said the noise is being amplified by the cast wheel. They don't have an answer, but confirm that they also hear it. Keep in mind this is loud enough to be heard over a set of VH slip on's.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what have you done to fix it? Are there any mechanics out there or more experienced at-home tinkerers who might have some ideas or fixes?

This on top of the mysterious transmission chatter are really starting to wear on me--I'm well aware of all the threads out there on the tranny, but having spent as much as I did on the bike, being a first time HD owner and having high expectations of this bike--I'm a bit frustrated with the lack of knowledge out there on any fixes. Seems like the service depts didn't get the training that went along with the rollout on these new bikes.

Any helpful hints are much appreciated, please no flames on how I need to put up with yet another glitch--I'd appreciate some positive comments
Any Permanent fix to this issue?