Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear End Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008 | 09:11 AM
The Whale
Cruiser

I have this problem with my 08 SG. The noise doesn't appear when "cold" but after I ride for 15 minutes or so it gets LOUD, especially when I pull in the clutch and coast so there isn't much engine noise to compete with. It is definately coming from the rear wheel area but I haven't had time to look at it or take it to the dealer. It sure is annoying though.

Old 08-07-2008 | 09:26 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member

I have that problem now only it is my front end. Brake pad is rubbing. I can make it go away with some good hard braking. I took it to harley and they said that sometimes the pads get a little glaze and a good hard stop will burn the glaze off. And it works. add a little brake as your riding and see if the sound changes or just jack up the bike and turn the wheel by hand.

Beary

Old 08-07-2008 | 09:31 AM
katobird
Road Warrior

i'm sure you checked the plastic belt guard. or probably jacked it up and rotated the tire.

Old 08-11-2008 | 02:27 PM
shad1340
Advanced
Default rear noise

New to HD forums, but I just traded for a 2007 Heritage that had a whining noise that also did not change with rpm. It did lessen the harder the rear brake was applied. Dealer found that belt was too tight and the wheel was not aligned in the rear swingarm allowing the rear pads to scrub on the rotor constantly causing what almost sounded like a harmonic noise. Was skeptical, but when I picked up, no noise...other than the marbles and rocks and gears banging around inside the tranny from bad engineering. And about that, I was told that I was lugging the bike, to pick up speed. I try to ride this bike the same as I have ridden my 99 Softail and 06 Streetglide for the past 9 years with no noise. Guess I'll have to change riding habits. Shad.

Old 09-23-2008 | 10:38 PM
Roadie_Glidin'
Intermediate

I purchased a new 2008 Road Glide and had NO noticeable noise until I went in @ 1000 miles for my first maintenance...

From that point on I have had this same whirring/squealing from the rear end. The symptoms:

* Only audible after the bike has warmed (30 miles in town, 10 miles highway)
* Brake Pressure does NOT have any effect on the sound (NOT the brakes)
* Speed has no effect on volume, but does affect the sound oscillating speed slightly (So you would think would have something to do with the rotating wheel/axle/rotor)

SO far HD dealer has taken a stethoscope, and ruled out:
Brakes, Rotor, Cush-Drive, axle.

They have cleaned the belt, scuffed the brake pads and reseated them just in case, and completely taken apart the rear wheel and the pulley/cush-drive.

They have ridden my bike, heard the noise, taken the rear end apart 4 separate times, and have absolutely clue what it is.

They have yet to look at the primary chain tension as some have stated to be the fix.

I have given up otherwise, and just deal with it....

Old 09-28-2008 | 06:41 PM
oley55
Road Captain
Default same noise as well

I seem to have just developed the same noise on my 07 Ultra at about 21K. the noise is only noticable at slower speeds (slowing to stop) and only after it's warmed up (worse in hot weather), application of the rear brakes or disengaging clutch has no effect. looks like I will need to pull the primary cover off to see if the auto tensioner has become too tight.

wasn't it a great idea for H-D to eliminate the primary case access hole for the tensioner? now we gotta drop the whole primary cover just to check the praimary chain tension. most definately a better idea.................NOT!

on that subject, anybody know what the expected life cycle (miles) is for the nylon tensioner shoe?

Old 03-03-2009 | 09:59 AM
oley55
Road Captain

good news and bad news. good news I finally got around to pulling the primary off to check the automatic chain tensioner and it was not too tight and the nylon shoe was still wear free at 27K. bad news I still have the noise and am back to being clueless as to source of this noise.

only regret is I pulled the primary on a cold engine. wish I had done it on a hot engine.

Old 03-03-2009 | 12:09 PM
HogFather
Road Captain

Have you had the wheel bearings checked. Forget that the bike maybe new, they can and do go bad.

Old 03-03-2009 | 12:40 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member

does your bike have IDS if so check the bearings .

Old 03-03-2009 | 01:11 PM
ndnguyd
Tourer

My 2001 RK made similar noise so I put some chap stick on the rear belt edges and noise went away..

Quick Reply: Rear End Noise