Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear End Noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006 | 02:14 PM
thesmithiz
Cruiser
Default RE: Rear End Noise

ORIGINAL: Streetrunner

I had a similar type noise on my '06 SG and got the same response from my dealer so like a dope I believed him and put up with the noise. Then, about a month ago I was at another dealer because I heard they have a good dyno tuner. I let him test ride my bike to see if he thought he could improve on the current tune. When he came back he pulled the bike right in the shop and adjusted the primary chain which was too tight. That was the cause of my noise. Now its quiet. He picked it right up and and I didn't even complain about it to him. My dealer was clueless!
I think the '07's have a automatic tension adjuster for the primary but you never know, there could be something wrong with the way it is working. You can't loose anything by letting them check it.
My 05 RKC had the exact same deal, I noticed though that if you coasted with the clutch in you wouldnt really hear it. Turned out to be primary chain to tight..............

Mine wouldnt start making the noise until I rode for around 30 miles and could easily be heard over my V&H slip ons. If the noise could be described as a kinda old time sci-fi movie UFO sound effect like a continous low whinning (whir, whir, whir, whir.......) then yours sounds like mine did. Drove me nuts!

Old 11-20-2006 | 05:55 PM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member

I had a noise kind of like that on my 03 Dyna. It turned out that the belt was dirty. I sprayed it down good with some gunk engine cleaner and washed it out with clean water and it was gone

Old 11-20-2006 | 06:16 PM
TJRKC
|
Cruiser

No such luck here......mine is very noticable with/without the clutch in...it starts at 30 mph and gets louder the slower I go.

Old 06-09-2007 | 12:09 AM
waynem
Stage II

Any new news on this problem my 2007 Dyna has started making a noise in the rear wheel. It started off at only 30mph but now 30mph or below and seems to be getting worse. The dealership says its the rear brakes (normal sound). But you apply the rear brake and, no change. Common sense tells me they don't understand simple physics or they don't care. Pretty disheartening since this is my first HD.

Old 06-09-2007 | 12:48 AM
FLHXIRIDER
Stage I

i had a similar problem, mainly on slow down from 30 mph to 0. mine was belt noise. the local t-shirt shop put some stuff on the belt and it went away for
a few hundred miles or so then came back. im thinking of spraying the inside of
my rear pulley with that bed liner in a can to knock down some of the harmonics
created by the belt rotation. i'll post again to let you know how it turned out.
dont worry i got the "they all do it", too. i wonder if all the rattle in the tranny
is actuallyfrom that automatic primary chain tensioner. i seem to notice more noise under load at lower rpm. this would make thechainput a load on the tensioner somewhatbecause of the torque compensator doing its thing. that tensioner was new this year wasnt it. if it was a fixed pad like the old style there
wouldn't be any movement either way and the primary chain would always be in tension.

Old 06-09-2007 | 10:30 AM
waynem
Stage II

I'll take a look at the belt. I think I'll back the rear shoes off and test ride without applying pressure to the rear and see if it does it as well. Thanks for input. Mine make noise in the tranny too.

Old 06-10-2007 | 12:12 AM
2deuce
Road Master

Had that same noise on my 07 Deuce. Could not locate it..........at some point around 5200 miles, I never heard it again. No Clue what it was.

Old 07-11-2008 | 11:04 PM
cherrypewt
Cruiser

my 07 deuce is doing it as well...i had it up on a jack the oyther day,and i found it's definately coming from the brakes...when i spin the wheel..about 70% of the revolution makes no noise whatsoever...the other 30% the rotor is rubbing on the pads...do you think it's out of lign..or possibly a wharped rotor??

Old 07-12-2008 | 06:28 AM
katobird
Road Warrior

WHEEL BEARING WILL CHANGE SOUND AND PITCH WITH DIFFERANT LOADS APPLIED. SIDE LOADS ESPECIALLY. IT MAY "ROLL" NICE BUT LOADED DIFFERANT STRESS

Old 07-12-2008 | 07:18 AM
Anthony8858
Road Master

I'd bet it's the brake pad rubbing against the rotor.
&nbsp\\;
I had that sound when I first bought my RKC. It eventually went away.

Quick Reply: Rear End Noise