Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear End Noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006 | 07:04 PM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior
Default RE: Rear End Noise

ORIGINAL: TJRKC

Yep I checked that--If I hold onto it while it's idling, the muffler quiets down, but I don't think that would cause the intermittent rubbing noise I'm hearing.
If you can hear it at idle, not moving then check the exhaust clamps, and the heat shields and their clamps.

Old 11-18-2006 | 07:11 PM
TJRKC
|
Cruiser

This isn't a noise I'm hearing at idle. It's definitely tied into the revolution of the back wheel somehow. No noises when idling.

Old 11-18-2006 | 07:22 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member

I had a similar type noise on my '06 SG and got the same response from my dealer so like a dope I believed him and put up with the noise. Then, about a month ago I was at another dealer because I heard they have a good dyno tuner. I let him test ride my bike to see if he thought he could improve on the current tune. When he came back he pulled the bike right in the shop and adjusted the primary chain which was too tight. That was the cause of my noise. Now its quiet. He picked it right up and and I didn't even complain about it to him. My dealer was clueless!
I think the '07's have a automatic tension adjuster for the primary but you never know, there could be something wrong with the way it is working. You can't loose anything by letting them check it.

Old 11-18-2006 | 08:42 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

Rotate the rear wheel while on a jack.Listen for any noise.
I would check the following...wheel bearings,rotor/brake pads,belt,belt guard or tire rub.
You also said the sound is not affected by speed.Does the noise start as soon as the bike is rolling?

Old 11-18-2006 | 10:15 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

Mine makes a racket similar to yours.. only it changes pitch when I hit the rear brake. If yours does the same then I'd look for a warped rotor or noisy brake pads. If not, maybe bearings....

lp

Old 11-18-2006 | 10:24 PM
glide
Road Warrior

Check around the belt guard where the rubber protective flap is, they are very close to the tire and could be your noise.

Old 11-19-2006 | 10:03 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: TJRKC

I have a noise coming from the rear end of my 2007 RK Custom.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^

I suggest staying out of Taco Bell,,,,,, try eating some cheese, or better yet get "BEANO"

( @ ) pttttttttt!!!!!!

Old 11-19-2006 | 08:32 PM
flakdog
Road Captain

[quote]ORIGINAL: electaRICK

ORIGINAL: TJRKC

I have a noise coming from the rear end of my 2007 RK Custom.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^

I suggest staying out of Taco Bell,,,,,, try eating some cheese, or better yet get "BEANO"

( @ ) pttttttttt!!!!!!
electraRICK, You beat me to it

Old 11-19-2006 | 11:39 PM
rmarion
Road Master

check for rear wheel alignment. Someone gave a good idea, put on jack and rotate the rear wheel, while listening for noises.

Old 11-20-2006 | 01:38 AM
SteveO
Road Master

My 05 Ultra has the same exact noise after installing the new HD auto chain tensioner. Removed it, installed the old factory tensioner and no noise! However the bike shifts better with less clunk and neutral is easier to find with the auto tensioner.....so I put it back on and live with the noise. Use Amsoil 20W50 motorcycle in all three holes and it seems to be somewhat quiter, especially when hot. Sure shifts better!

Steve

Quick Reply: Rear End Noise