Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RK FLHR 04 left aux switch on fairing

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 12:57 PM
cold_surfer
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RK FLHR 04 left aux switch on fairing

Okay switch Gurus -- here is one for ya'll:

I was cleaning the bike today and a blue socket on the clutch back side of the nacelle popped out. looking up in nacelle I saw a tiny triangle on a brass post sticking out from the back side of the switch. Dilemma: how to push the socket back onto the switch? and also I might be missing a tiny part of the switch -- not to mention all I can do is touch the end of it with finger tips without major surgery.

1. what does the left back nacelle switch do? The right side turns on my fog-aux lights. Does it activate the aux power outlet under the seat ? I had tapped into it the under-seat outlet with the 12v plug-in drill-n-install HD cig lighter but it stopped working a year ago. Possibly this switch broke over a year ago. I rewired the cig lighter to bypass that plug. Is that outlet power-on with ignition off using the switch.

2. since this switch is broken and probably missing parts -- how do you change it? the clip on the back side blocks the 14mm nut from spinning off. Also -- is there more than the post, triangle-end, and blue socket? seems like there should be a brass/metal plate than the triangle toggle uses to connect the switch -- based on rebuilding other automotive seat switches... Is there a good alternate switch I can install that won't require disassembling the entire bar/nacelle assembly?

switch

part

Old 09-04-2011, 01:04 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The switch is just an auxilary switch, for just about anything you want to hook up. I believe, but not sure, you have to disassemble the headlight to get back in there to mess with it.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:05 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

On my 2004 RK, this switch controls pins on a Deutsch plug under the seat. (I have mine wired to an accessory outlet). I'm not sure if it's the headlight you got to pull out, or if you need to disassemble the nacelle itself (it's two halves), or maybe you got to do both. If you've got a manual it might give you more insight.

Alan

Old 09-05-2011, 02:25 AM
cold_surfer
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone else opened that switch up - where they would know if there is a metal plate that is used by the brass pole and triangle tip to bridge the contacts in the blue plug housing?

as discussed here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ff-switch.html this is a $5 part !!

rubber part is threaded on the front of the switch and if removed the switch slides out the back without dis-assembly of the nacelle. switch body looks very close to this:

soldered into a 8" harness that has a socket disconnect wrapped around the left front fork tube. pretty easy repair now that I see some discussion on it and the pic. search "waterproof toggle switch" on ebay and get 100+ options.

should this be running 10,12, or 20 amp ? wonder what the HD one is rated at ? can't be that great or it wouldn't have pulled apart so easily...

Old 09-05-2011, 04:41 AM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

You can pull the switch from the outside of the nacelle, throw this one away and buy a new one as you wish but it is a spare for any accesory you would want to install. My 03 has the same set up with the right side operating the road/passing lamps. Reach into and under the nacelle edge as you remove the switch weather boot, drop it out and put in a replacement.