Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch adjustment question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 07:00 PM
Mental
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
I gather that if you start the bike in gear when cold, you don't warm it up before riding it either?

I only start it in gear when I've stalled it in gear, (like a dumb#ss.)

And when cold I start it in neutral and drive it only when the motor slows down to warm idle speed...j

Maybe reading too much into it...
NO, I let the bike warm up fully before riding away. The reason I start in neutral is because of a habit I have of parking the bike in 1st gear so it can't roll. This has never been an issue with any other bike I have owned, although this is my first HD.

Also should you be able to push the bike if its in gear and pulling in the clutch (not running of course)?

Old 09-03-2011, 07:00 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,984 Likes on 4,175 Posts

Start in netural or get use to it.. They all lurch when started in gear, especially if they have set overnight. Harleys clutch is massive and the plates and disk drag since they all do not stand square to each other (sort of lay over and rub plus oil windage-especially if primary is a little full or bike is point up hill slightly.)

Old 09-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,817 Likes on 3,171 Posts

And cold they're tough to push in gear too. That just shows you how much harder the starter works vs neutral.

( Glad to see that you warm it up )

Old 09-03-2011, 08:11 PM
spence222
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine will lurch forward too when starting in gear.....I try to start in neutral every time.

btw.....my clutch is adjusted properly.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:12 PM
Bleachey
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While the lurch is common(I've never been able to git rid of mine even though it's been adjusted countless times) I've been told that the rod adjustment varied by clutch wear, the bike, countless things. Do you get any "tug" when in 1st and idling at a stoplight?

Old 09-03-2011, 10:47 PM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can also pull in the clutch and rock the bike back and forth a few inches before cranking. It will help brake the plates loose and will not lurch (as much) when you crank it up.

It is less work if you just start in neutral, but I usually start the bike in gear as well.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:38 AM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If the bike's been sitting all night I start in neutral and put on my gear. By that time the bike's able to warm up a bit. I hate starting in gear then waiting, holding the clutch lever in, til it warms up. When I make a stop for gas or something I'll start it in gear and sometimes get a little lurch, sometimes not.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:00 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

The lurching that you are feeling is simply the nature of the beast and is typical of wet clutches as found in Harleys.

The "lurching" is the result of the oil between the clutch discs holding them together. This phenomenon will occur regardless of how much slack (free play) you adjust into the clutch.

Like others have said, start the bike in nuetral.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:31 AM
Spoiler
6th Gear

Im having same problem with my 2011 ultra limited had dealer re adjust clutch twice I adjusted it twice same problem. cold is worse than hot starting but still jumps a little. went to show some friends how the bike sounds after i installed new exhaust and it almost ended up on the ground because i was standing next to it when i started it

Old 09-04-2011, 09:07 AM
flhtupser
Tourer

My clutch is adjusted 1/2 turn out from first resistance with correct slack at lever. I never start the bike in gear as it just makes the starter work harder. I also pull the clutch when starting in nuetral. Thats jusy my habit. Works for me. Your clutch sounds to be properly adjusted, I just reccomend starting her in nuetral.

Quick Reply: Clutch adjustment question?