Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help – runs fine at speed, dies at idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 11:08 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,027 Likes on 4,214 Posts

You replaced ckp. If it was that it would not run since it need't that to even fire. Could be tps but that's an easy check with $15-$20 ohm meter at Harbor. It can be intank fuel filter or a load of bad gas. I assume you been thru at least 3 tanks of ethanol fuel (will help remove water since alcohol absorbs water). Mine did the exact thing. Just go use to cracking throttle for a couple weeks why I checked things. Could not find anything. Dealer told me probably ought to change filter since on a Harley single pressure bleed system a sure sign of filter problem is lack of idle control. Pressure 5-10lbs off an ECM cannot catch throttle drop off fast enough and it dies. Be sure your fuel is clean no water. Suck out about a quart in a clean jar off bottom of tank and let it set and check for H2O. OK, then check tps with ohm meter. ( I will tell you how if need be) With 66k if filter has never been changed that would be my guess but that a little work and I always start with easy. CKP is too easy.. HA. PS mine was water in fuel from a local big name brand gas station who dug his tanks up about a month later) It's actual possible for the IAC passage way to pull trash in if filter is open. Do not spray carb cleaner hard up thru it or you will drive crud up into solenoid of iac valve. It's just an air passage around throttle plate

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-03-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 380 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by BurgundyUltra06
It doesn't seem that that part number has fitment on the 2006's. Here's the sensor page from my manual...no IAC. I guess I'll just try to clean all the sensors I can reasonably get to and see what happens.
Reach in the top of the tb and you will feel the hole. Cycle your key on and off, you will feel the iac pintle extend out and then retract and park. The iac motor is on the top of your tb. Squirt some cleaner in the hole and cycle your key.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:36 AM
kpb46
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heres a couple of pics showing location of the IAC hope they help. As far as cleaning ALL sensors...I'd be careful

Attached Thumbnails -iac.jpg   -iac1.jpg  
Old 09-03-2011, 11:52 AM
BurgundyUltra06
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lonewolf176
Reach in the top of the tb and you will feel the hole. Cycle your key on and off, you will feel the iac pintle extend out and then retract and park. The iac motor is on the top of your tb. Squirt some cleaner in the hole and cycle your key.
Originally Posted by kpb46
heres a couple of pics showing location of the IAC hope they help. As far as cleaning ALL sensors...I'd be careful
Okay! My dim lightbulb has come on. Thanks for sticking with me on this. I have now found and done the procedure you all have been trying to help me with all along. Going out for a ride now , will let you know.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:00 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

None of the pictures was of what needs to be cleaned. With the air cleaner off
the orifice that needs to be cleaned is on the inside of the throttle body in the 12 o'clock position near the slide.
Is that what you cleaned?

Old 09-03-2011, 12:04 PM
BurgundyUltra06
Tourer

Originally Posted by nvsteve
None of the pictures was of what needs to be cleaned. With the air cleaner off
the orifice that needs to be cleaned is on the inside of the throttle body in the 12 o'clock position near the slide.
Is that what you cleaned?
Yes sir. The pictures were useful for me to let me know where to look. I had my pinky in the hole, and when I cycled the ignition the first time, I got a surprise (even though I should have been expecting it ;-)

Old 09-03-2011, 01:29 PM
BurgundyUltra06
Tourer
Thumbs up

Problem solved! Just got back from a 40 mile test ride, no issues. RTFM didn't help any on this one, but you guys sure did. Thank you very much for walking me through this, I'm a happy boy again (cost to fix = $0 'cuz I had carb cleaner on the shelf)

Last edited by BurgundyUltra06; 09-03-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:58 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by BurgundyUltra06
Problem solved! Just got back from a 40 mile test ride, no issues. RTFM didn't help any on this one, but you guys sure did. Thank you very much for walking me through this, I'm a happy boy again (cost to fix = $0 'cuz I had carb cleaner on the shelf)
Perfect! Glad we could help.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:14 PM
BurgundyUltra06
Tourer

Originally Posted by nvsteve
Perfect! Glad we could help.
Steve and others:

You guys have helped me, and I’ve tried to help others…That’s why I joined this forum in the first place. Kinda like the old community, but through cyberspace I suppose. Anyway, without getting into other frequently posted topics – it’s like it should be, and I am appreciative…Be safe.

Last edited by BurgundyUltra06; 09-03-2011 at 03:07 PM.