Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this what an E3 looks like after 6k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 03:08 PM
monkey sammich
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by XARAN
Ive read that the E 3 are getting 10,000 -14,000 miles I hope yours is a fluke because the E 3 is the tire I planned on using

Same here.

My indy said ne normally gets 5k HARD miles on his personal bike with 402s, and he's around 9k and still has some life in his first E3. I hope that's the norm and not what I'm seeing here.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:17 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GzrGlide
So I've always run ME880s and decided to run the E3s for the first time this year. Well, after 6,000 miles my rear tire looks like it's done! Or is this still good for a while yet? Most of the miles are on the highway at 65mph, solo with 42psi in the tire & not an aggresive style. Front tire looks great ( they usually do ).

I can't find anything that says when to repace these tires.

Help! Everything I read said I should get more mileage than that!
Hate to disagree with most of the folks here, but that tire looks fine...(for an E3). Look closely in the longer tread grooves, there's a *very* small tread wear bar in there. I just replaced an E3 with a little over 15K on it, & it wasn't *quite* down to the wear bars. Close enough that I didn't want to be swapin' tires just before my next long trip, but with enough life left to be safe. The tire I replaced looked like yours by 6 or 7 K. They wear flat in the center with tread on the edges. Works just fine. Find the little tiny wear bars & you'll see what I mean.

Those tread grooves are good at moving water away from the center of the tire, & rubber on the road is what you want. That wide band in the middle is actually a plus if the water is being removed, & you aren't past the wear bars.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:46 PM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinks
Hate to disagree with most of the folks here, but that tire looks fine...(for an E3). Look closely in the longer tread grooves, there's a *very* small tread wear bar in there. I just replaced an E3 with a little over 15K on it, & it wasn't *quite* down to the wear bars. Close enough that I didn't want to be swapin' tires just before my next long trip, but with enough life left to be safe. The tire I replaced looked like yours by 6 or 7 K. They wear flat in the center with tread on the edges. Works just fine. Find the little tiny wear bars & you'll see what I mean.

Those tread grooves are good at moving water away from the center of the tire, & rubber on the road is what you want. That wide band in the middle is actually a plus if the water is being removed, & you aren't past the wear bars.
I agree with Jinks. Just don't wait too long like I did last time and let it get down to steel. Huge pucker factor when you are on a trip and then notice. Had a new one ordered prior to noticing any steel but was way too close and will never let it get that bad again. Overall the tire for me wears much better and the handling is so much better than the 402's, especially on wet roads/in the rain. Looks to me like you have at least 3k more miles on that tire.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:52 PM
chateau
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man , that bike is dirty , or may be it's the camera lens.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:51 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 253 Likes on 154 Posts

I've got about 9K on my rear & it looks like it will go at least another 9K or more. I'm running a 160/80-16 on what's basically a 07 rear set-up, it's a 2000 with 07 swingarm, belt & pulley, all I had to do was trim the belt guard to get it to fit. That includes 1400 mi to Sturgis & back at 80+, the rest of the miles around Ia, Mn, & Wi, as many curves as I can find, hard to do in IA. I just measured mine & I have a full 7/32 left, get a tire depth gauge & measure the grooves that go the furthest in toward the center of the tire, I've yet to find any wear bars on mine & I've looked pretty hard. Contrary to popular belief a motorcycle tire doesn't wear in the center because of too much pressure, it's going to wear in the center no matter how much pressure you run if you run only on flat, straight roads. The main cause of wear is friction & heat, both of which are greater if the tire is under inflated. Yes a car tire will wear in the center if over inflated because it has a basically flat tread, it isn't rounded like a motorcycle tire. I've been running 43-44 psi & I'm totally impressed with the E3, both wear & handling, I was hoping to get 10K or better out of it, but it looks like I might actually get 20K or more, I'll report back in a new thread when I replace it. I ride pretty aggressively & was only getting 5-8K out of the 150/70-18s I was running before, so this set-up is saving me quite a bit of $, plus I got away from spoke wheels after 2 flats in 3 weeks this spring. Bottom line is get a depth gauge & run at least the max pressure or a little bit more in your tires, if you don't believe me ask any of the tire reps.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:09 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

That tire is good for another 4-5K miles. The problem with telling by looks on an E3 is that even new they do not have tread grooves in the center of the tire.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:58 PM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

wash the bike that will help

Old 09-02-2011, 06:49 PM
b1rider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That tire is trying to wear it's self out so it can get away from that dirty a** bike!! Yikes, now about a bath for the ole girl?

Old 09-02-2011, 10:06 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Agree with some of the previous posts. The tire is fine. E3s don't have much tread in the center even when new.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:22 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

That bike is not dirty. Look at mine on the way back from the arctic circle. That's an E3 on the back somewhere under the mud.

Attached Thumbnails Is this what an E3 looks like after 6k miles?-imgp0134.jpg   Is this what an E3 looks like after 6k miles?-imgp0135.jpg   Is this what an E3 looks like after 6k miles?-imgp0136.jpg  

Quick Reply: Is this what an E3 looks like after 6k miles?