Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok guy's godda pick yur brains on this crazy issue i'm having..

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 08:54 PM
Reaper22
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ok guy's godda pick yur brains on this crazy issue i'm having..

Ok not sure how many were following my broken cam issue but here the deal, Had bad noise in motor and was a a stop light going onto a bridge back to Missouri and half was across bike quit, long story short the from cam sprocket was cracked and spun on shaft, ok put se 255 cams in as well as se adjustable pushrods, bike started fine sounded fine and when it warmed up hammering noise back, shut sown and found exhaust lifter on fron cyl and intake cyl on rear I could collapse with my finger the other two was fine, so kinda what happened chicken or egg deal, Does any body have any idy what is going on with my motor? It's an 08 street glide with only 12,000 miles, gunna put lifters in tomorrow. Here's is what I found with the front cyl. cam.. could really use some experience here, got dealer and all local indy's stumped on cam..

Old 09-01-2011, 08:58 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Keep in mind i have never tore into an HD engine, but being and old auto mechanic. sounds like weak or busted valve springs. and i am speaking out the side of my mouth on that.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:04 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

- I'm not smart, but I'd say pull and examine the heads, valves and valve train, all of it.

2). with the spun cam, did the piston come up and hit an open valve?

mike

Old 09-01-2011, 09:05 PM
Reaper22
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Jeff W
Keep in mind i have never tore into an HD engine, but being and old auto mechanic. sounds like weak or busted valve springs. and i am speaking out the side of my mouth on that.
I was and old skool mechanic too and I can almost see that as well but when setting the push rods it seemed that they all had same amount of tension when setting at 2.5 turns and could not really push up on them just down, but not ruling out either but when engine was cold did not hear a thing, sounded good even when I rev'd it up....
Thanks man..

Old 09-01-2011, 09:08 PM
Reaper22
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mkguitar
- I'm not smart, but I'd say pull and examine the heads, valves and valve train, all of it.

2). with the spun cam, did the piston come up and hit an open valve?

mike
Looked in the cylinder with a snapon scope and did not see any signs of that. when the cam spun did not hear any metalic bang, just shut down, the sprocket spun on cam not allowing it to open any valve.. Did not even sound like it jumped time it was that quick.

Last edited by Reaper22; 09-01-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:11 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 16,032 Likes on 4,994 Posts

you have oil pressure? have you looked at the oil pump? , I would check the runout on that crank too, have a feeling things run out of oil as soon as it gets thinner due to warming up. what about the inner brgs, I don't see any scoring on the brg surface , but something stopped that cam from turning and the chain kept right on turning!

Old 09-01-2011, 09:12 PM
oasis03
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

By the discoloring of the cam and sprocket my first thought would be that it had a lubrication problem.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:15 PM
Reaper22
Road Captain

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
you have oil pressure? have you looked at the oil pump? , I would check the runout on that crank too, have a feeling things run out of oil as soon as it gets thinner due to warming up. what about the inner brgs, I don't see any scoring on the brg surface , but something stopped that cam from turning and the chain kept right on turning!
The sprocket is cracked like a bad press fit from factory was my thought. Had oil pressure. noticed the lifter noise first. Had good throttle response right up till it qiut..

Last edited by Reaper22; 09-01-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:20 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 16,032 Likes on 4,994 Posts

that would have happened sooner if that was the case, let me think about this a little

Old 09-01-2011, 09:26 PM
Reaper22
Road Captain

Originally Posted by oasis03
By the discoloring of the cam and sprocket my first thought would be that it had a lubrication problem.
I think that was the original color of both sprockets, here is another pic, btw inner bearings were fine and outer cam plate journals looked fine, I believe this happened rather fast cuz of no signs of damage, I just got back from Milwaukee week before last and rode 200 miles the weekend before it happened..Pics not doin cams justice, they actually look new

Last edited by Reaper22; 09-01-2011 at 09:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Ok guy's godda pick yur brains on this crazy issue i'm having..