Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tbw replaced, bike wont startbut at full throttle.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011 | 03:37 PM
youngr3
|
Intermediate
Default tbw replaced, bike wont start but at full throttle.

I replaced my bars on a 2010 fltrx and ran the wires internally. With this i replaced the tbw with the screaming eagle one (the one with no green plug) to make pulling the wires easier and cuz of the horror storie ive heard about the green plug coming apart. I put everything back together and when i go to start the bike it wont start. I tried this multiple times with no luck. I then tried to start it again with the throttle cracked and the bike fired up but even when i let go of the throttle it seemed to go to full throttle. I shut it off before i let it go any farther. any advice??

Last edited by youngr3; 09-01-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-01-2011 | 03:47 PM
pettifogger1
Tourer

When you buy the TBW with the long wires they are threaded down the handlebars and once they come out the hole in the middle of the bar you have to plug all the individual wires into the Molex connector. Are you SURE you plugged all the wires in the right holes? Easy to get one out of place.

Old 09-01-2011 | 03:51 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

are both injectors plugged in? Did you cross the injectors?

~Joe

Old 09-01-2011 | 08:10 PM
bks
Cruiser

I read somewhere that when you replace the tbw twist grip sensor that you need to turn your ignition on and off 3 times to reset the idle position. But your problem sounds more like you have some wires crossed.

Last edited by bks; 09-01-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-01-2011 | 08:25 PM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior

you have your wires reversed on your e throttle.

Old 11-19-2013 | 04:47 PM
JimNous
Stage II

Youngr3 . . . Can you tell me how this was resolved. Having the exact same problem after installing my new bars. I know it's been a while since your original post but hope you are still out there.

Old 11-19-2013 | 05:11 PM
TJH-FLHTK2012
Intermediate
Default Hi there

I changed my bars out and extended the TBW wires. I also removed the green connector. I had no problems with the install except when I started I had no throttle at all but it would idle fine. Stepped back and a thought occurred, plug the harness back in. Had moved them out of the way and missed it when I plugged everything back together.

I would suggest re-looking your wiring and ensure that all pins are input in correct pin holes on molex connector. There are two set of wires three each that are the same color code. These are ran in two different colors of heat shrink from the throttle end. Ensure all are matched correctly and this should fix your problem It sounds like they may be reversed. If need be I can find my notes from when I took apart.

Good luck, TJH

Old 11-20-2013 | 08:35 AM
JimNous
Stage II
Default Tjh-flhtk2012

Thanks for the reply. It gives me the idea of trying to start it without the harness plugged in to see if it starts at an idle. That would indicate a problem with TBW wiring or throttle twist grip device. I have the green plug wiring diagram and believe I have followed it exactly. I wonder if one of my solder joints came loose? Thanks again

Old 11-20-2013 | 09:42 AM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member

For reference here's correct wiring for cutting out green plug.
HD has split the wires coming from the sensor into two group with two different color shrink wraps:Black and Yellow. I will now refer to these as Black side wires and yellow side wires. Each side has a white wire, black wire, and red wire. This is what it looks like:
Here is how the wires will hook up.

Blue Wire------(Black Side) White Wire

Brown Wire----(Black Side) Red Wire

Black Wire-----(Black Side) Black Wire

Grey Wire-----(Yellow Side) Black Wire

Red Wire------(Yellow Side) Red Wire

Purple Wire----(Yellow Side) White Wire

Old 11-20-2013 | 11:54 AM
youngr3
|
Intermediate

I had wires switched in the molex connector. Not sure which ones anymore though. Someone should have photos of them on here somewhere.

Quick Reply: tbw replaced, bike wont startbut at full throttle.