Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential issues adding rear LED lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 03:02 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Potential issues adding rear LED lights

I'm considering an LED bulb conversion to my stock SG bullet rear lights and the two brands I'm considering are Ride Time Technology and Custom Dynamics. I currently have a Kuryakyn 4859 Run-Stop-Turn Controller on my '07 SG, along with a Ride Time Technology Diablo LED run-brake (center) light conversion. It all works well together without any load equalization, although I have two load equalizers that can plug into the Kury controller if needed. The bullet lights have a stock 1156 single-filament bulb that work as run, brake, and turn-signal lights with the Kury controller.

When I emailed RTT and CD for advice on compatibility they both said their LED conversions, which look identical, would work with my current setup. I then noticed that Kuryakyn has a disclaimer on their site that there may be a minor problem with the TSSM when using their controller with low-draw or LED lights:

"Bikes equipped with factory security system and low-draw or L.E.D. lights also require P/N 4857 [Alarm Compatible Load Equalizer]."

The problem is apparently that the TSSM security warning light may illuminate at all times, although it is a "false alarm" according to Kury and won't harm anything. Well, I have an LED center tail light and TSSM without the 4857 equalizer and don't have this problem...yet. Obviously, adding another pair of LED inserts to the mix may create the problem, however. Has anyone used this exact combo, or something very similar, and can provide some feedback? The 4857 equalizer is only $30, but I want to know what I'm getting into. This is sounding like a flip-of-the-coin proposition that everything will work without adding more paraphernalia. Also, adding a load equalizer to my current 4859 controller will negate the ability to use the 4-way flashers, according to Kuryakyn, although I've never used them anyway. With all the disclaimers, potential glitches, and extras that may be needed I'm quickly losing my enthusiasm. CD also has a "signal stabilizer" for $70 that will work with the 4-way flashers, but there's no word on issues with the TSSM. For that kind of jack I would think it would do everything including bake a cake for me.

Any feedback would be welcome. I'm just paranoid about being hit from the rear (been there, done that) and just want maximum lighting back there. In theory the LED bullet upgrade should help, but these stock 1156 bulbs with the Kury controller are surprisingly bright already, and the RTT center light made a big improvement. I also have the HD "Tri-Bar" fascia run-stop accessory (#68358-07A) which adds even more.

Last edited by iclick; 09-01-2011 at 03:09 PM.